Yes, if the screen is all still there with just a tear in it, I feel it makes an excellent backer for the JB Weld. Think of how fiberglass is made, mats of glass fiber coated with resin.

I've mentioned it before but I'll do so again - I finally had one of my patched filters fail, but it wasn't the patch. It tore out on the backside, opposite the patch. It seems when we patch and cover that normally torn area, it simply shifts the big stress point elsewhere. Eventually, I can see that whole end of the filter around the oil intake hole getting covered, maybe even from magnet to magnet, lol.

I'm toying with the idea of making some angle shaped covers for that end that could be mounted under the two filter mounting bolts, one on each side. They could keep oil from being drawn in too strongly at that end, but they wouldn't stop the suction against the inside of the screening. That might still be an issue and still cause tearing. But, the covers would be easy to pop off so you could check the condition of the filter.

, it simply shifts the big stress point elsewhere
Having done "the patch" on a number of filters, I have wondered what happens with the the diverted oil pressure/flow. Your discovery of the "backside" damage gives me reason to check the sump filter more often. I like your idea of the angle shaped covers, 5T.

Lets see who is the first to fabricate them....

Yes, watch eBay for sump plates or better yet, plates with old filters still attached. Tears are OK (most are torn) because we know how to fix that. I just scored another shipped to my door for $16. Considering that's what a drain plug alone costs from Mike's, I thought it was a good deal for the plate, drain plug, and a torn filter.

:doh::thumbsup:
oil pump clean up (2).JPG oil pump clean up (5).JPG
IMHO the goal isn't perfectly smooth surfaces. Anytime a gouge is made in a surface there are also raised edges created, The goal is removing those edges, "high spots", so that in use a thin layer of oil keeps the parts separated and avoiding further wear.

oil filter

Last edited:
Zackley! When metal is dented/gouged etc., the displaced metal doesn’t disappear. It is built “up” somewhere else to compensate for the “down” of the scratch or dent. In theory, it is possibly to move the raised metal back to the location of the displaced dent or scratch - but often, it’s easier to just remove the raised stuff by polishing.

Anyhow, another potential benefit of polishing and lapping those pump parts is that the pump should put out a higher flow due to the reduced internal leakage across the faces of the rotor.

Just did the 4th oil change since rebuild.

2331 Kms / 1450 miles on rebuilt engine

No metal flakes in the oil, nothing of significance on any magnets or in any filters and no more epoxy bits in the side filter case.

Figured I’d have a general look at things.
Did the 7th retorque. Most bolts took a bit. Studs more so.
I’ve been checking the cam chain tensioner periodically but it was a whisker loose. Don’t think the studs took enough torque to cause that. Still stretching out a bit I guess.

Three valves had loosened up about a thou.

Timing still bang on, so we’re good to go again.
After a whole bunch of cleaning and polishing after that rain on Sunday that is. :mad:

Thanks guys!

OK, back to cleanin' and polishin', then I can back to that left case cover off BB.

Might have time for a bit of a ride tomorrow aft and maybe I'll get her up to 5000 Jim. :D

Back