1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

On the road again at 40.............the bike that is

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by robinc, May 16, 2017.

1. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I couldn't be happier !!

:cheers:

[​IMG]

Jim, MaxPete, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  2. robinc

robinc Member of the 'yellow meter gang' Top Contributor

upload_2018-9-10_10-21-59.jpeg

Hoping all will be good after a few more test miles Dude. Nice when it's simple. ;)

Thanks again buddy!

Jim, gggGary and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Hey Robin!
    A cautiously optimistic congratulations on finding your gremlin! Isn’t this forum something else? Dude is da man for pointing you in the right direction. I hope you have smooth sailing from this point foward. Your other projects are stacking up behind this one!
    Good luck buddy!

Jim, gggGary, robinc and 1 other person like this.
  4. robinc

Thanks Bob. Ya I'm so thankful that Dude was able to steer me in the right direction.

As I said, cautiously optimist but I think if it was going to stumble it would have. Pushed it enough through the rpm range on some back roads that I think if it was gonna it would have.

Now that the humidity is breaking up, maybe I can get some paint and get back to work on BB's tank and tins. If I have any spare time that I'm not riding that is. ;)

Jim, MaxPete, weekendrider and 4 others like this.
  5. robinc

OK, so I’ve got a little over 250 miles on since Dude told me how to kick that ignition gremlin to the curb. Amazing what a working condenser pack, new points, a tune up and tight electrical connections will do for these old girls…..eh? I swear she’s running better than ever and seems to like it better when I let her have her head now and again Jim. ;)

Been wanting to hit another beach east of me on Lake Erie but haven’t been able to get there till now. They had a little problem with their bridge this spring.
    image.png
    Finally got a temporary bridge installed. They missed most of the summer which hit these seasonal businesses hard.
    temp bridge.jpg

As I pulled into town something on my left caught my eye so I had to do a quick u turn. Well look at that….

IMG_20180915_100900.jpg

First one I’ve seen in the wild. Old fella says it runs, but he’s riding a 1982 XS750 Special and won’t get to restoring this one. He’s asking for $1200, we talked a bit about that, but I’m NOT in the market so it was a brief chat.

Couple more miles down the road and I’m at…

IMG_20180915_101526.jpg

IMG_20180915_101440.jpg

Had to get back early again today so didn’t get as much time out as I would have liked to. No new/old garages today. They are scarce around these parts.

But how bout a new game Dude……….. ‘Old Bridge Photo with your XS’?
    Came across some of those spanning ‘Catfish Creek’

IMG_20180915_105158.jpg

IMG_20180915_113426.jpg

IMG_20180915_113417.jpg

IMG_20180915_103822.jpg

MaxPete, YamadudeXS650C, Jim and 3 others like this.
  6. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Wow, is that the same year as yours?
    Looks like its twin.
    Somebody oughta be all over that.

Now, that sounds like fun...

YamadudeXS650C, Jim, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  7. robinc

Ya, it's a 77D 2M. Looks a lot better in the picture than in real life.....lol. Mufflers have been welded in several spots, wheels have been spray painted with aluminum colour paint. She'll need a lotta love but a good restoration candidate though.

MaxPete, YamadudeXS650C, Jim and 3 others like this.
  8. Mailman

What a nice outing and some great photos ( again ) ! What are the odds of seeing the exact same forty one year old motorcycle that you’re riding, just sitting on the side of the road? Crazy.
    Keep up the ride reports, it’s my turn to live vicariously through you. SOMEDAY our heat will break and I’ll get back out there. We’re still having record breaking heat, 111 degrees today. :eek:

9. robinc

Thanks Bob.

Ya, did a double take when I rode past that. Had to turn around and chat with the fella. He's another wrencher. You may have noticed some of the bicycles. He rescues and refurbs discarded bicycles and then sells them cheap. Said he's sold 35 this year so far. Nice shop too! Interesting guy. Lots of projects underway.

Man, you're getting baked for sure.

I'm trying to get out whenever I can. Our season is winding down while yours is ramping up. I'll be enjoying your trip pics and stories soon enough between snowblower start ups. :(

10. YamadudeXS650C

For $1200, I might have pulled my wallet out for that one.....
    A '77 would round out my collection nicely.
    :)

robinc, MaxPete, weekendrider and 2 others like this.
  11. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

These girls might be old..... but they still like to run. :D

12. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

$1200 CDN = about $37.54 USD Dude.

Deal!

Nice pics of a great ride Robin. It’s good to see that they finally repaired that bridge. What a shame for the businesses to loose the summer though.

Pete

13. YamadudeXS650C

Although I could perhaps strike deal for $950, I don't do long-distance bike purchases from another country (even my friend, Canada :))
    which could be gone by the time I get there.
    There still are plenty of XS's here in New York State.

....and who knows, maybe I'll stumble upon my old '77 which I sold off in 2016:

XS650.1977.JPG

14. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Please say it ain't so, you didn't sell that bike to that putz Mr. Red Shoes, lol.

15. YamadudeXS650C

No, I sold it to a guy from the northern Hudson Valley, and he sold it to Mr. Red Shoes.
    ....and then, sadly, he began to mess with it, along with his "mechanic" in NYC.

weekendrider, robinc and Mailman like this.
  16. robinc

From shore to shining shore.......or sumthin' like that........eh?

Once again time constraints forced me home early and prevented me from venturing further. My butts OK with that though I guess.
    So, where to go? Yesterday was Southeast to Lake Erie, I guess time will only allow for Northwest to Lake Huron.

Back to the Bend and then travel down the lake.

IMG_20180916_110319.jpg

Got a quick pic of a parasailer flying by.

IMG_20180916_112558.jpg

Some history.......

IMG_20180916_112917.jpg

You can just see the lighthouse over my gas cap at the end of the pier mentioned. Here's a better pic.

IMG_20180916_113037.jpg

Carry on south along the lake more or less to.......

IMG_20180916_120857.jpg

Took a break and watched some boats heading down the Ausable River to the lake.

IMG_20180916_115618.jpg

IMG_20180916_120258.jpg

Headed home through the boring flatlands. Soon be pickin' time.

IMG_20180916_103412.jpg

Hey, look at that old garage....oooppps, wrong thread.

17. Mailman

Great photos! And yet another nice ride! Right between two Great Lakes! Very pretty.

Jim and robinc like this.
  18. robinc

Thanks Bob. Still more Ports to hit along each Lake but that's getting further and further away. Need more time.
    Would like to get north to Collingwood and The Blue Mountains on Georgian Bay but that's a loooonnnggg, gggGary kinda day.

Someday.

screenshot_20180916_162248.jpg

Mailman and Jim like this.
  19. robinc

Added to that map to give a sense of distance and scale. The red circles on Erie and Huron are where I was yesterday and today. Bit further to Georgian Bay!

screenshot_20180916_162248.jpg

20. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Nice ride and great pics today Robin.

Pete

robinc and Jim like this.