On the road again....takin the high road!

Mailman,
No, I didn't make it to that lake. I did check out Watson Lake just outside of Prescott. That was pretty cool. Then from there drove to Jerome on 89A. Was wishing I had the bike with. That was an awesome road. I'm thinking 89A from Prescott to Flagstaff would have to be one of the best bike rides a person could take in Arizona.

Yeah you’re right. I’ve taken that ride on 89-A from Prescott to Jerome. It’s a bucket list ride.

View attachment 113437

This morning I woke up and decided I wanted to take a ride to somewhere I hadn't been to since I was a kid.
I started out with a short trip to a nearby coffee shop to have a bagel and coffee with my wife, then she went to go watch our granddaughter play soccer and I headed for the hills...literally.

Bob

A great write up Bob. I really enjoyed following your ride and the excellent pictures. Its a great pity more of us don't do this , perhaps we should start a ride thread .

After reading this thread I had sent Bob a note saying I've been meaning to make an afternoon of searching South Mountain for the spot my grandfather had stood in 1986. Included in that note was this new-to-me picture I had found while cleaning out my Mom's house last year.

IMG_20180211_100039234.jpg IMG_20180211_100052564.jpg

Bob immediately replied with:

imagejpeg_1.jpg

"I know exactly where that was taken. I was just there yesterday. It's the main observation point near the top, where I took some photos. That's the same handrail your grandfather was standing by."

So with no good excuse not to, I took off from work early today to spend time with PopPop before the sun went down.

IMG_20180211_100039234.jpg DCB on So Mtn w-PopPop_.jpg

Oh, right, this a bike forum. Stella was with me too.

IMG_20180216_175057993_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

After reading this thread I had sent Bob a note saying I've been meaning to make an afternoon of searching South Mountain for the spot my grandfather had stood in 1986. Included in that note was this new-to-me picture I had found while cleaning out my Mom's house last year.

View attachment 113726 View attachment 113727

Bob immediately replied with:

View attachment 113709

"I know exactly where that was taken. I was just there yesterday. It's the main observation point near the top, where I took some photos. That's the same handrail your grandfather was standing by."

So with no good excuse not to, I took off from work early today to spend time with PopPop before the sun went down.

View attachment 113726 View attachment 113724

Oh, right, this a bike forum. Stella was with me too.

View attachment 113711

Wow, what a set of "tribute" pics ! Respect comes to mind, well done.

The Catalina Hwy is not to be missed...But the elevation is 9000 ft at the top..so not sure how well the bike would run.. and the ride down would prolly burn up your brakes unless you're adept at engine braking...not sure how these bikes fair in that dept...Love the ride up S. Mtn..all desert elevations are good..

Last edited:
The Catalina Hwy is not to be missed...But the elevation is 9000 ft at the top..so not sure how well the bike would run.. and the ride down would prolly burn up your brakes unless you're adept at enginre braking...not sure how these bikes fair in that dept...Love the ride up S. Mtn..all desert elevations are good..
Only done it in the van, worthwhile trip fer sher. XS650; up prolly not an issue, down either if your valve seals are good. There's a back way off the mountain to the north but snow (and local advice not to) kept me from trying it in the van

Only done it in the van, worthwhile trip fer sher. XS650; up prolly not an issue, down either if your valve seals are good. There's a back way off the mountain to the north but snow (and local advice not to) kept me from trying it in the van
The back way up/down is from Oracle AZ..and the last I recall it was all dirt...I have ridden and driven the Catalina Hwy more times than i can remember..Always a good escape from the blistering heat of the desert .if the road wasnt closed due to a fire or very dangerous conditions conducive to a forest fire..

The SG has been up and down Mt lemon many times. No problems ever. There are some guard rails here and there. Yes, we Zonies use Mt Lemon for breaks from the heat. The resturants do a ton of business on the weekends. Tons of trails to walk the calories off afterward. Skiing in the winter. '03 there was a major forest fire. I watched it burn from my house. There still is evidence of it still. She is recovering well.

I lived in Tucson from 1967-1969..Came back in 1973 and went to school at the u of A and then worked afterwards in Tucson until 1985...My last visit was 2017..and i am due for a return next year.
I meant no guardrails on the backside..down to Oracle...

Back