One more last electrical Gremlin - Oil light

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
You guys have been great and just when I thought I was all set I discovered this little issue.

The oil presssure light does not come on. I have the black/red striped wire properly connected to the harness, but no glow. I ran a test light from the negative battery post to the terminal at the sender no power. I assume the sender acts as a switch and grounds/completes the circuit and when oil pressure builds it opens the circuit and the light goes out.

Anyway so much for my theroies you guys are the experts - Help!

on the 400 the oil light gets its power from the brown wire (main power circuit) and grounds by the R/B wire thru the oil switch, ground the R/B wire to the engine case next to the switch if it lights clean replace switch if it doesn't check wiring and bulb/bulb socket

What bike? I have an '80 XS650 and there is no oil light.
I never saw an XS650 with out the red il pressure light. Typically the instrument light between the the tach and speedo. Top turn signal amaber, middle oil pressure red, bottom neutral green.

jayel,

Right on the money. Gounded the b/r wire to the block and there was light. So I'll order me up a new presure switch.

Thanks,
GJ

Back