One of them Eureka moments...

Jethro Airhead

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lived in Gainesville, in Florida, for a while when I was a young bloke.Since then, I've spent a bit of time in the USA, mainly in Alaska, and it hasn't escaped my attention that some American citizens own a firearm...sometimes even more than one.

I'm still struggling with my TX650A running rich - and we all know how much fun it is getting out main and pilot jets, don't we? Especially when TPO apparently used a cold chisel, angle grinder and ten-pound sledge hammer to try removing them.

I found my old, square bladed screwdriver kit I've been using on my firearms is perfect for removing the jets. It's a Chapman 9600 kit that's give me brilliant service since I got it in 1976. There are probably other brands out there, but this little kit in a beaut padded red case is brilliant for the carb work. Nice work, Mr Chapman.

just keep the guns far away about the third time you have to pull the carbs........

Properly fitted screwdrivers is the REAL secret of good carb work.

just keep the guns far away about the third time you have to pull the carbs........

Properly fitted screwdrivers is the REAL secret of good carb work.

gggGood advice, gggGary: the XS lump may be big and clunky, but some jobs are so fiddly - especially when you have fingers and thumbs like entrenching tools. I keep reading the XS is bulletproof; sometimes, I'm tempted to test that theory...

I lived in Gainesville, in Florida, for a while when I was a young bloke.Since then, I've spent a bit of time in the USA, mainly in Alaska, and it hasn't escaped my attention that some American citizens own a firearm...sometimes even more than one.

I'm still struggling with my TX650A running rich - and we all know how much fun it is getting out main and pilot jets, don't we? Especially when TPO apparently used a cold chisel, angle grinder and ten-pound sledge hammer to try removing them.

I found my old, square bladed screwdriver kit I've been using on my firearms is perfect for removing the jets. It's a Chapman 9600 kit that's give me brilliant service since I got it in 1976. There are probably other brands out there, but this little kit in a beaut padded red case is brilliant for the carb work. Nice work, Mr Chapman.

What kind of american only has "one" firearm. :DGeezzz thats SOUNDS unamerican. Do you remember where that kit come from, probably since it was 30 years ago it wouldn't make much differance

I bought mine in about '81 (got a set for Dad, too) from a local dealer in Australia. A quick search showed they're still around over there and I found four sets on Fleabay. It's a well made bit of kit, it would be money well soent.

Hi guys,

I'm proud to say we're still making Chapman tools in Durham, CT as we have since 1936! The company that made the red cases went out of business in the 80's, but the new sets have the same parts in yellow cases available here www.chapmanmfg.com

Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks Roy,

I have to admit, I've never been on a bike! I am a gearhead though, check out the '59 Chevy Apache pickup we restored https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.367021406703893.83817.121126881293348&type=3

I saw on our website that we're getting some referrals from this forum, so I wanted to check it out and let people know that we're still in business. Many people bought sets upwards of 50 years ago or inherit sets from their fathers and grandfathers that need a couple replacement bits and assume that we went out or to Asia like many US toolmakers.

- Joel

- - - I saw on our website that we're getting some referrals from this forum, so I wanted to check it out and let people know that we're still in business. Many people bought sets upwards of 50 years ago or inherit sets from their fathers and grandfathers that need a couple replacement bits and assume that we went out or to Asia like many US toolmakers.
- Joel

Hi Joel and welcome to the site.
You should know that XS650s can be habit-forming and you already have a truck to haul it home in and the screwdrivers to fix the carbs with, just one more small step to XS650 ownership, eh?
BTW, here's a way to remove PO-cratered carb jets when even your excellent bits just cam out instead of turning the jet.
Put the screwdriver bit in a drill-press chuck.
Block up the carb on the drill press table.
Bear down on the feed handle to force the bit into the cratered out slot.
Turn the chuck backwards BY HAND to get the jet out.

Hi Fred, thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm already into cars and horses, I don't need another expensive hobby! Maybe I'll take up knitting or something, how expensive could needles and yarn be, right?

That's an interesting screw removal method, certainly better to try that before drilling out the screw and using an easy-out.

Many people don't release that our bits are designed and heat treated to specific hardness's based on the torque ranges of the screws they fit. Our smaller bits in particular are designed to break or round before damaging a screw. Many people use our tools on antique firearms with engraved screws, and all kinds of delicate calibration and medical equipment so they'd rather break a $1.30 bit than the screw. That's why we offer open stock, so if it does happen you don't need to buy a whole new set!

Anyway, I'll have to remember that trick next time I'm tinkering with a gummed up carb

Joel,

Do you make JIS bits? I did not see them in your website, they would be great to all of us working on old bikes. Pozidrive would also be great for me! For cabinet hinges.

Yes, I was going to ask the same thing. You could tap into a whole new market, the vintage Japanese bike scene, if you did. J.I.S. Phillips screwdrivers and driver bits are not easy to find.

I'm surprised I missed this thread when it first started as I'm a bit of a "tool junky". That 9600 kit looks wonderful and I will probably get one, supplementing it with M3 - M6 hex (Allen) bits.

Yeah, me too with the JIS bits, I'd never heard that JIS screws even existed until I read about them in this list but it does explain why my Phillips drivers cammed out of the XS650's crosshead screws so easily.
And as we have segued into screwdriver mode, when I am King of the World the next guy who dreams up yet another different screwdriver head system will be dragged out and shot.

Hi guys,

The short answer is no, we don't currently make JIS and Pozidrive bits. However, we just invested in some new machinery that will allow us to make them and due to the number of people that ask for them they are on the list of new products.

One of the best things about being a small shop is that we can be responsive to customer feedback, in fact we created our Master Set because so many people wanted a set with all 53 insert bits in it. Now it's one of our best sellers!

People strip Phillips, Pozidrive, JIS, and Reed & Prince/Frearson screws (similar to a Phillips but the nose is more pointy, we make bits for them) screws all the time. I find it especially frustrating when it's a screw buried in a machine or at an odd angle and you can barely see the head to tell what it is.

Fred, I'm right with you about not creating any new screwdriver heads! Even the variations will drive me nuts, Torx (we make), Tamper Proof Torx (we just released), and then there's Torx Plus, 5 lobe Torx, inverse Torx, and I believe Metric Torx, none of which we make.

If you guys are interested, the first place I release new products is on our e-mail newsletter because at first we only have a small quantity available. You can sign up on the bottom right corner of our website. I send e-mails out once a month with new tools, deals, or Chapman tool tips.

Here in CT we're expecting another blizzard this weekend temperatures in the single digits, hope you guys all live in warmer places than me!

Joel

Hi Joel,
Phillips heads were designed to cam out to limit installation torque on sheetmetal screws.
I blame Henry Ford for popularizing their mis-use in vehicle work.
Seems our Henry wanted to use Robertson headed screws but although Mr. Robertson would sell him screws by the carload he wouldn't sell or lease the production rights because he got burned the last time.
So Mr Ford went with Phillips instead and we've all been camming out ever since.

That's wonderful news about the J.I.S. bits. Take my word for it, you will sell a ton of them. In fact, I foresee a new kit in your line-up aimed at vintage metric bike owners, consisting of the J.I.S. bits, metric Allens, and various straight blade tips.

I've ordered a 9600 kit. Once I have it, I'll fit up the proper straight blades to the Mikuni mains and pilots we use, and post the sizes here.

Fred, that's interesting about the Phillips, I knew that Henry Ford used them but I didn't know the rest of the history. We make Robertsons too! A couple years ago they weren't real popular but we're selling more of them now, I think someone told me that they're used on some electronics. It seems that screw heads go in and out of style like clothes. We've made Bristol 6 flute bits forever; they were used on ham radios and military electronics from the 40's and 50's. Now people are asking for them again because they're used as a security screw.

5twins- that would be great if you could post some sizes! I will add that info somewhere on our website.

rbjenterprises- another common request is for longer bits, but usually 2" or 3." Which Milwaukee handle are you referring to?

Back