open-source parts designs?

Visegrippe

lurker extraordinaire...
Reaction score
i had a crazy idea this morning: given all the technical expertise of members, access to designers, fabricators etc, why not make a community-support repository of parts drawings and models which people can use to have parts made as needed, (and in some cases, online rapid-prototyping services could be useful, where you send in a 3d model and in a few days you get your part). there seem to be a lot of common parts which need to be made/ modified, and a standardised common starting point would probably make sense. designs would be free to be modified and used as wished, as long as not to make money (to be fair).

just a crazy idea, like i said,

Sounds good to me. I've kicked around this idea also. It tends to occur to a person when they're searching for a part and not having any luck. :)

One part that I spent a fair amount of work designing was a fork brace -- something I could produce on my milling machine. I don't care for the looks of the TKat, although I'm sure it works well. Then after doing all the design work, I ran across an eBay seller that had several NOS "Daytona" fork braces that looked really cool, so I just bought one. Haven't installed it yet, though, so it's one of those items we could probably duplicate and have fabricated ourselves.

It would be really nice if we could come up with a source that could fabricate or regrind rephased cams. $400 is just a tad steep for one -- I think Megacycle and Web Cam's prices are the same for the rephased cams.

Probably won't happen because of to reasons and I am not aiming this at anyone personally.

If you have done a lot of hardwork, most people are selfish and don't want to give people the benefits that they had to work hard to find.

Second if you did a lot of hard work and design and you think the part is cool. Then most guys try to sell a few short run production units of it.

What you want to achieve Visegrippe is a great idea, but usually nothing much more than wiring diagrams and a few how to tutorials is ever shared.

I am sure people out there have asked someone who has made something and posted it. If they can give you details of size etc, a drawing, or certain specs, etc and either been ignored or told to go measure it on your bike before.

It would be nice even if basic dimensional drawings of stock parts were posted so people could design parts to fit. If you do get it going I would love to join in once I had something to offer.

Back