Opened Valves -- Found a Squirrel Present

Spartacus

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I guarantee this is a new one... Finally got my valve spring compressor in the mail and went to town taking the valve springs and plungers off. Everything was going swimmingly, I have to say the valve spring compressor was a fantastic purchase. So I get to the exhaust valve on the right hand side, as I pull the plunger (is that the right word?) out, what do I see? An acorn.... In my valve. Luckily my friend was there to witness it falling out so I know I haven't lost my freakin mind.

So anyway, I pulled this engine apart after having some dire problems with oil FILLING UP my exhaust (read: not just a drip) to the point where oil was dumping from my exhaust tip. I was here thinking it's probably a valve seal issue or a gap in between my piston/cylinder. I'm still doing valve seals, piston clearances, the whole 9, but I guess this acorn could really potentially explain the oil leak. Think it's possible that the acorn was blocking up my valve to the point where it couldn't open and close? Any hypothesis?

Also, one of my valves looks to be kind of chewed up, possibly as a result of an improperly adjusted valve spring ? Anyone have a picture of how the valves should look when cleaned? Mine are heavy with carbon, this engine has likely never been apart.

Picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 312
Think it's possible that the acorn was blocking up my valve to the point where it couldn't open and close?
I vote no.

Any hypothesis?
A mouse stuck it there after the carbs were removed, but before removing the valve.

5twins posts some really good media but you have to search. Look at this thread for valve pictures.

I vote no.

A mouse stuck it there after the carbs were removed, but before removing the valve.

5twins posts some really good media but you have to search. Look at this thread for valve pictures.

Yeah my apologies, should have searched on the valve pictures, I knew it'd be around.

As far as your mouse hypothesis, it was on the exhaust valve so how would it get over there? I did have my exhaust off at different times during the year, maybe it happened then? I do agree, it must have been after the engine was off because I think the acorn would be more mauled up.

Roy -- You're absolutely right, I didn't think of that. I do not know any tree removal guys so I would have been in deep water.

Yeah I was bassackwards on which valve. The exhaust would have blown it out. Mice, like people, like to tuck things away for posterity. Even with the headers on it could have felt like that was a great winter storage spot.

I think that's making the most sense now. Dang, I gotta go home and cover my other bikes exhaust now and inlet now. I guess I have mice.

A steel wool pad stuffed into the exhaust pipe ends prevents intrusion. If you forget they are in there, they just blow out on start up.
Used to use rags or old socks, they tend to draw moisture, this leads to rust. So switched to steel wool.
Leo

Back