Opinions on these loading ramps please

inmotionphotog

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
G'day all.

Now that my bike is reaching the stage that will require some transporting to and from the exhaust shop, engineering certification and registration visits, I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of ramps to make loading the bike onto my truck less difficult.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140622848145?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My biggest concern is that the edge of the rear of my F-100 is actually slightly taller (960mm) than the maximum height of 840mm that the product is designed for.

I was wondering if I either lengthened or added suitable packing beneath the leg supports I am able to safely use them? My gut feeling is that I should be able to get away with them if I take these precautions. I actually wish to use one of the ramps to walk upon, whilst the second will be used for the bike. This should help with the balancing act and let me do this task on my own.

If I'm asking for a bundle of trouble, please let me know before I drop some cash on them.

Perhaps you gents might have a simple and elegant solution I could consider as an alternative?

At the price that they are selling them at, they do seem to be pretty good value for money.

RampAR01F_features.jpg

RampARO1F_1.jpg

RampAR01F_5.jpg

RampAR01F_2.jpg

RampAR01F_7.jpg

RampAR01F_6.jpg

RampAR01F_4.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com/

My biggest concern is that the edge of the rear of my F-100 is actually slightly taller (960mm) than the maximum height of 840mm that the product is designed for.

Drive the front wheels of your truck up onto a curb, ramps, blocks or whatever. Raising the front will lower it in the back. It'll also take some of the angle off of the transition between the ramp and bed which will help keep the bike from bottoming out.

I back my truck up to the curb of my front lawn when loading. And try to find a simalar situation when unloading.

If those are aluminum, you ought to buy a few and resell them when the price goes up.
They look like a very good set, the support in the middle is a good idea.
The only thing I might suggest is to use a tiedown strap from ther center of the ramp to the rear bumper of your truck to keep them from sliding off the tailgate.
I use a set aluminum brackets you hook to a 2x8. They bolt to one end of the 2x8 and they come with instructions where you measure the hieght of your truck and the table tells you now long the 2x8 needs to be.
Somewhere around $35-$40 then the 2x8. Don't cost much and work well. I think the brand name was Ramp Parts. Not sure, been a long time since I bought them.
With a good strong hinge you could make them fold up.
Leo

I use a ramp from an old U-Haul truck that has been shortened.
Those seem to be a good buy for the $....do use a tie down from the ramps to the bumper....

Last edited:
yup those are loading ramps all right... a little creative parking as mentioned when loading and unloading should take care of your tailgate height difference

I use 2 x 6 with the alum. end bolted to it. i back into a ditch or up against a hill to load,and unload. i now use a small boat trailer that I got for free. I shortened the tongue,and squared the front of the trailor with scrap tubing. I made a plywood deck. Now when I run the bike up the ramp, the trailor deck tilts untill I get past center. Then I run the wheel up ahainst the stop,and I tie off to my eyebolts. Works great,and it was cheaper than ramps.

Loading and unloading is always a pain by yourself. My tailgate is pretty high too. I wish I had a better way of loading without fear of a mishap. I pretty much back of to the curb trying to gain some advantage too.
jefft

Back