Opinions on which hardtail to buy

Morgantician

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on hardtailing my '82, and was wondering if anyone has opinions on whether to get the premaid hardtail by TC Bros or G&L Choppers.

Obviously the TC Bros are way more common, but for my first build I'm not looking to make something new and exciting. Is there any build quality difference between the two is primarily what I'm wondering.

The TC Bros one seems to be slightly cheaper, but I'm about an hour from Colorado Springs, so I could save on the shipping of the G&L one. So they'd end up being about the same price.

And I'm planning on installing it myself - I just don't have the know-how yet to build my own from the ground up.

I went with tc because I was impatient and g&l had at least a 2 month waiting list at the time.

I prefer the 4" stretch of the g&l, but I am still very happy with my 3" stretched tc.

I have no personal experience with none of them but if I decide to go chopper its going to probably be a frame from Ardcore. In my opinion the best way to do it is to cut off your neck to retain the serial # on your old frame and run your stock yamaha front end to avoid running a new bike through the hassle of DMV. My stock bike already has been through there and won't need to go again long as I have that neck. They can build one of their single downtube frames with your neck and put the rake in to make the thing look right. Thats what I believe they did with the Flying W bike and if you ask me it looks damn good. Go to "you tube" and type in "Flying W chopper" and watch the short video of that bike crusing. I would be perfectly happy with it.
jefft

Last edited:
I have heard mostly horror sotries on quality of welds and fitment of the TC section. I would go G+L myself if not a custom hardtail altogether.

I wouldn't be running a starter or signals but the one thing that holds me back is the wiring. I run a Boyer ignition. I think I could handle the charging part of the system but I don't know about the rest.
Jefft

I wouldn't be running a starter or signals but the one thing that holds me back is the wiring. I run a Boyer ignition. I think I could handle the charging part of the system but I don't know about the rest.
Jefft
What does that have to do with selecting a frame? BTW, my TC fit just fine.

I went with a TCBrothers, and had no problems. But if I was building today, I would go with a Low Brow Customs, David Bird makes a killer looped frame hard tail that is not much more than the TC.

I was very pleased with my Tc hardtail.Everything i have got from them is top notch not to mention there shipping is crazy fast and that makes a huge difference to a impatient person like me.

I was torn between G&L and Elswick. I went with Elswick mostly because he answered the phone both times I called. I let you know how it looks in about another week.

There are a lot of custom bike builders hurting for cash right now. Many will make a frame to your specs for around $1000. then you'll truly have a custom.

David Bird.

Use the gusset for a second foot peg mount.

Lowbrows shipping is what it needs to be as well. Not some inflated price like others.

I bought my hardtail from TC Bros, along with fwd controls,battery box and electric box and fender, super people to deal with and no delays in getting the parts. I would use them again for sure! My first build and it seemed to work out fine. Deemudduk

I'm a dealer through TC Bros and Elswick Cycles and have dealt with both of them. To be honest I have a Elswick drop seat on my current bike right now just because I wanted to drop look and the stretch. Elswick in my own opinion is one of the best guys out there for design and welds. You can call up Robert or e-mail him and give him and idea on what you want (stretch, design, drop seat or not) and he will work with you and it really dosent cost anymore to have him customize it to your specs. The only problem is he is a really small company and I think he has 2 guys working there and it takes about 3 to 5 weeks to get a tail section from him.

Now on to TC Bros... I have ordered a lot for customers all over and never had a complaint and I also have fixed a couple that they have welded to the frame they use mig not tig. I order them and weld them on customers frame and sometimes the top tubes are a little off but nothing a little fabing cant fix (a little grinding here and there). They look great on and they have nice welds on the rear tail section and hey $219.99 and its shipped right away who can beat that right. If you are looking for cheap and a right now hardtail I would go with TC but if you want style and your own go with Elswick.

G&L and Ardcore are the two companys I get a lot of complaints from they say they never call them back or take months to finish something and what not. I just took over a bike build Ardcore was building and they only gt the frame done in 10 months LMAO and really the frame is bad ass but one thing stuck out to me was one of the lower cross rails was a 16th off and you can see it :shrug: some people no biggie to me 10 months and $1k later id be pissed lol... Good luck on whatever one you buy bro and have fun building :bike:
Rock-A-Billy ChopperS

When are we going to see a Rock A Billy website with more examples of your work. Seen the blue bike on facebook and its looking good.
jefft

Last edited:
This question has been asked over and over again. Everyone has an opinion... I think (my opinion) all hardtails listed throughout this thread are equally nice in their own way. I personally have the TC tail and love it. I have a second frame for my next build and am leaning towards the Bird tail on this one.

Back