Opinions Wanted re Other XS Models

xs650-4-me

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello
I'm looking towards another XS possibly next year. It doesn't have to be a 650. If someone wanted a lighter XS650, how many other models are there, and are they similar, ie, won't blow up like a hand grenade as the TX750 used to I hear.
* BTW, I had a chance to ride a TX750 about 6 years ago; VERY nice. Seemed to have more get up and go, maybe a slightly larger framed bike too...I liked it, but didn't buy it.
So, as far as the XS650 related models go; seems as if there's an;
- XS250 (XS family)
- XS360 (XS family)
- XS400 (XS family)
- XS500 (twin) ? Is this from the TX 650 family, meaning it's not a XS family ?
- TX500 (TX family, smaller version of the TX750?)
- TX650 (renamed XS650 ?)
- XS7/850 (triples?) Not sure I want a triple, I rode an XS750 once, 7-8 years ago, was not impressed.
- XS1100 (4cyl)?

The XS400 was a very solid and reliable bike. The XS/TX500 very high performance for its size, very high maintenance and semi-reliable. The XS1100: awesome in all respects and big.

Thx. Besides just curiousity, I'm tending to think I need yet another MC :) Maybe this is why I'm divorced ? The next-ex could be another XS650, but I'm tending towards lighter, slower, doesn't have to be smaller as the XS650 is a good fit size wise. I definitely want the next bike to be drum brakes F&R. Standard early style bars and flatish seat, not the cruiser style of either. I see that the XS650 has externally routed cables so bars coudl be swapped easily, but, how can the seat be flattened ? I've never seen an XS360, so being easier to find, maybe the XS400 would be the next XS. As much respect as I have for the XS11, too big for me to deal with, getting it on the center stand for example. I don't need high performance, as if I did, I'd buy an R1. This is partly why I want drum brakes F&R, so they work. IMHO they have less rolling friction too. I might be tempted into another Suzuki T500 as I've had a few of these, none currently.

Have you considered an older Yamaha SR 500, or newer 400 model?

Isn't the SR500 single cyl ? Yea, the answer is no, no specific reason, other than it should look like an XS650. Might even be better if it had pushrods instead of a chain, only so it lasts longer w/o attention.

Is it true that the XS400 is only 25lbs lighter than the XS650 ? If so, then I'm not sure the 25lbs is worth having a different version MC when I have 2 XS650's. Maybe what I need is a 2-drum version of the XS650.

If you want drum brakes all around, there is a budget version of the XS400 that comes that way, probably your best bet.

Back