Options for electronics tank (fake oil tank)

fellfrosch7

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
TC Bros is the only one I know of. I have some hookups with a fab guy, so I might be able to get one custom made, and wanted to see if anybody might be interested. Also any suggestions or improvements to their design, maybe? It's a pretty simple part so I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking. I want to try out different opening methods instead of the end caps, but we'll see.

I ripped off the A bomb that pandemonium makes. $40 in parts:

5804781704_b9e40623cf.jpg

5804782516_fb87d8e77a.jpg

5877149410_f5ac812a25.jpg

I'm wiring the bike next weekend, It'll get grommets, a 12V source, and a shelf to affix my Boyer box and Centech fuseblock.

I got the 1 from TC choppers... While it does work & Im using it, Im not a huge fan of it..

The end caps are EXTREMELY TIGHT. If you push them on all the way, you basically have to pry them off.. Good luck doing it on the side of the road. This goes double once you actually paint them !!

I actually had to cut a slit in the bottom of the 1 cap to open it up some so it wasnt impossible to open...

Personally, I like open space on bikes. If I were you I'd get a Shorai battery which is less than half the size of the stocker then just use the remainder of your old battery space for your electrical.

8" ball.

Hemispheres are from King Architectural Metals, like $10 a piece.

I made 6 nutted tabs that were welded inside to enclose the two pieces, and then welded in a little fabbed shelf to mount everything.

Now that I have put a shitload of miles on this bike, I realize I over-engineered this piece. If I pop a main fuse I have to drop the battery box and fender and spend 30 minutes trying to fumble around with those screws. My first ignition switch was faulty so if I bump started with the headlight on it'd overload and pop the fuse.

I've since replaced the ignition switch, so I haven't had to change any fuses, thankfully.

I used an aluminum project box from an electronics supply store. I’m holding onto a metal first aid box for a future project.

Might work.

I have this one mounted under my seat. I have the key switch, fuse box and Rectifier mounted in it.
full

full

2013-01-13_16-02-28_55_zpsa7a40353.jpg

For the battery I have a 7 amp mounted in a project box under my swing arm.

Just make sure any parts that need ventalation get it... like the rectifier and coils.

We're working on a "Horse Shoe Oil Tank" electronics/Battery/stash box for the xs650. Should give that classic look with some great function....and be different then whats available to our bikes now. I personally think bikes look incomplete with that big open space under the set...my design will be another cure for those that feel the same lol

We're working on a "Horse Shoe Oil Tank" electronics/Battery/stash box for the xs650. Should give that classic look with some great function....and be different then whats available to our bikes now. I personally think bikes look incomplete with that big open space under the set...my design will be another cure for those that feel the same lol

I would love to see a horseshoe box for the XS.

Just throw one in there with my mids and stainless struts! I will be more than happy to give you my battery dimentions and some frame dimentions. :thumbsup: :D

I'm going to use an early 1900s brass Pyrene fire extinguisher. I removed the filler for the key switch.

Attachments

• 2013-01-23_08-39-07_584.jpg
    2013-01-23_08-39-07_584.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 808
Back