ORIGINAL 1970 xs1 found in factory packing crate

fongbros

XS650 Ignoramus
Reaction score
Earth - more specific would be Baltimore, Maryland
You read about these stories all the time - where some lucky guy finds a super rare car or bike in a barn. I never thought it would happen to me. I was helping clean out an out of business motorcycle dealership and came across an original 1970 xs1 still in the factory crate. I still can't believe it. After all these years of people telling me about their original bikes and how this piece or that piece should look. Low and behold, we all have a point of reference for what Yamaha really intended.

Attachments

• fong brooklyn 003.jpg
    fong brooklyn 003.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • fong brooklyn 001.jpg
    fong brooklyn 001.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 704
  • fong brooklyn 005.jpg
    fong brooklyn 005.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 476
  • fong brooklyn 004.jpg
    fong brooklyn 004.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 501
  • fong brooklyn 008.jpg
    fong brooklyn 008.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 504
  • fong brooklyn 010.jpg
    fong brooklyn 010.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 461
Sexy.

Hey have you ever had a problem with running no top engine mount & removing the gussets?
I'm doing it to my bike now, but wanted to know if you guys have ever had any issues.

I thought you were lying, but I can see the 42 years of rust on it.

Sexy.

Hey have you ever had a problem with running no top engine mount & removing the gussets?
I'm doing it to my bike now, but wanted to know if you guys have ever had any issues.

Frames are built with a gusset for a reason, removing them leaves you with the potential of a broken frame some time in the future. all the stresses converge into that area.

leaving out a motor mount on an XS650 will create more vibration through the frame and more stress on the other mounts

lots of people who chop and bob do it without caring about safety and the other associated problems. of course if it is for a sale project it doesn't matter because then the problem is passed on to the buyer

Zinger, it's his way of getting free adverts for the bikes he makes and one presumes sells or throws away. He does this every few months. He specializes in bikes that he specially rusts and dents and then puts back together with wood screws. Appeals to suburbanites.

When the Fong Bros started off their bikes had a finished look about them, but now looking at this i shake my head in wounder. a seat you can't sit on, uncovered rust, filthy motor, just no class here.

These guys a trading on their gimmicky image to the point of making fools out of their customers............:laugh: ......Don't worry Dennis you aren't that special that i single you out, i would do this for anyone trying to palm off an unfinished project

Attachments

• fong brooklyn 001.jpg
    fong brooklyn 001.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,043
  • fong brooklyn 003.jpg
    fong brooklyn 003.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,058
I'm asking everybody who reads this post to answer this question: Do you really believe that this bike was built because its what a customer "ordered"? I"m not sure about this and I"d like some feedback. I've seen some of the Fong Bros work up fairly close but somehow I feel like engine engine number 9 has quite possibly fallen off the track here.

Back