Other Bikes and Workshop Woes

Nope - no mention of politics.....although it IS a hot topic around here....in the northern 65% of North America....

Sorry all - back to,our regularly scheduled program on motorcycle repairs, maintenance and culture.

Pete

And the #1 Reason I prefer to work on XS650s? NO fricking 1.5 hours of tupperware remove/install for every danged thing that needs attention on the bike!
Only thing worse than a tupperware bike is one that has been through several PO's with random bolt/screw replacement and tab breaking.
Recent list of "kitchen bowl with lids" bikes.
BMW K1200LT this one takes the cake, 2 years of ownership I never got deep enough in to see the air filter, 120K of rough use by POs made it worse.
Kowie Concours 14 also plastic slathered on everywhere.
Royal star venture, A V4 cruiser that got the plastic fantastic treatment. Had the carbs out twice so far, 10 years sitting in the desert were hard on it. It did take me 6K reliable miles in 3 months use.
on the lift now, FJR removing fork tubes was "special".
It doesn't help that I'm a bottom feeder and never bought a bike that didn't have at least one PO hangover.
Exception; An ST1100 that only got an oil change and 4 different seats on my watch. Couldn't make my long legs fit behind that fairing, dang it.

Attachments

• reunion RSV 037.JPG
    reunion RSV 037.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 192
  • bimmer 007.JPG
    bimmer 007.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN6539.JPG
    DSCN6539.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 209
I had a guy offer me a Honda 550 4 cyl for $100.00. carb issues and rusty mufflers on an otherwise good looking bike.. Not to offend anybody but the only one I like is the 750. had the 550 and 350 4 cyls. Dogs.. I did like the 350 and 360 twins, spunky little runners, perhaps It is just the fact I like the response of a twin when I twist the throttle. But that 550-4 had an ORANGE paint job with matching faring. I actually saw people sticking theit fingers down their throats and pointing at the bikes...UUUUUGLY! Could have been me......but didn't happen on my other bikes. lol

Currently got the bug to build a vintage race bike...around here, the WMRRA has a vintage 160/175 class (I actually think it's 250GP class, but that's what they are riding)...so long story short, my crazy head got to thinking that this is a must experience kind of deal...and now (in the past month) I've purchased not one, not two, but 4 bikes for the project...lol! I have two CB175's and two CL175's (one's a '69, but the rest are '71's)...one runs ('69 CL) and is fairly complete...but doesn't run well...likely carbs, some wiring, and perhaps stuck valve/piston seals are bad...not sure just yet. And the other three were literally sitting in a yard for 20yrs and pretty much locked up. My goal is to get ONE of the three into race form, and the one that's running is back-up in case the three can't be used.

The woes now are finding time, rusted/broken and missing parts, but mostly not having a forum as GOOD as this one to help with ALL of my questions to get it built...but the fun part is piecing it all together, sourcing parts, etc. :)

Am I nuts? Yep! Ha ha. The good news, they only cost me about $700 for all 4 (that includes travel/gas, etc), and it only took me a weekend to strip the three down. So now my small garage is REALLY tight with parts scattered all over the place. Here's a pic of what I'm working with...and a taste of some paint work that will be the color of the bike.

If anyone is familiar with CB175's (I'm going to be taking the engines apart in the next few weeks...and could probably use some real knowledgeable insight when the time comes).

Attachments

• 20161106_082153.jpg
    20161106_082153.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 20161109_182905.jpg
    20161109_182905.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 20161114_083833.jpg
    20161114_083833.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 239
  • 20161114_083849.jpg
    20161114_083849.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 20161204_121539.jpg
    20161204_121539.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 220
There are a cubic butt ton of those things racing. Pits were filled with them at the Barber Vintage Weekend.
Used to be able to get them for about 5 or $10 each, not anymore though. Cool! tell us how it goes?

There are a cubic butt ton of those things racing. Pits were filled with them at the Barber Vintage Weekend.
Used to be able to get them for about 5 or $10 each, not anymore though. Cool! tell us how it goes?
Will do...its been fun so far. And VERY distracting. :)

Is that a flash VW I see in one of your pictures? Karmann?
Ya mate, it's a '69 Karmann Ghia...I've had it for about 5 yrs, and have been restoring it. It's 90% done...but I still need to work out better seats, and perhaps upgrade the engine to something a little more peppy. :)

being very very careful haha. I'm going to ride the bike, quite a bit. The painter promised to use a clear with a good hardener in it to protect. it looks so beautiful though... no one will ever be on it but me haha

...I have two CB175's and two CL175's (one's a '69, but the rest are '71's)...one runs ('69 CL) and is fairly complete...but doesn't run well...

If anyone is familiar with CB175's (I'm going to be taking the engines apart in the next few weeks...and could probably use some real knowledgeable insight when the time comes).

Worked on many of those back in the day. But, very little in the way of engine overhauls. Seems that they were over-engineered and underpowered for their weight, and would run forever. One of the shop owner/partners had me prep his for road racing, mild engine work and full-race fairing. It was mostly a "wind it to redline" and "wait for things to happen" kinda experience...

Back