Other ignition options

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Now that Pamco is gone ( :( ), I thought I'd share a couple of other ignition options that are on my radar.

Full disclosure: I don't even currently own an XS650. I have not tried either of these options (though I will be trying one soon, maybe even one of each). I have NOTHING to do with either of these suppliers and get ZERO financial gain from sharing this.

I've been building a bunch of SOHC4 Honda's lately; CB500/550's. A very popular option is the Hondaman Transistorized Ignition for points. Many SOHC4 guys are using this and are very happy with it. Hondaman himself has a good reputation in the SOHC4 world. One good feature of this ignition is that if it fails, you can swap a few wires around and the points and condensers are still there.
He lists a unit for the Yamaha 650 twins.

http://sohc4shop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=32

Another option I'm considering is the Tytronic ignition. There's a three year old thread on the SOHC4 site that discusses the Tytronic. A few members have been successfully running it for years and thousands of miles. They even discuss the pros and cons of this unit in the thread, comparing and contrasting it to the Hondaman ignition and the Dyna (more on that in a minute).

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158702.0.html

And here's the unit on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tytronic-E...793785?hash=item1a2c1612b9:g:LTEAAOSww9xZGmfy

They list a cheaper unit for the SOHC4, but the red unit has dwell control similar to points for correct coil charging. Be sure to read the description on the XS650 unit if you see a black one for about $20 cheaper.

On a side note, the Dyna and Dyna S has an iffy reputation for the SOHC4 Hondas. There are MANY reported failures on the Dyna, usually with one pickup giving out. The Dyna S requires too much voltage for the smaller 4's to run properly unless you change to a bunch of LED bulbs and keep it above 5K RPM all the time. Works better on the 750 with its stronger charging system. The Dyna is also sensitive to coil choice.
I actually have a 550F that came with a Dyna S and I will be replacing it with one of the above units.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I'd love to know if anyone has tried either of these on an XS650, or your thoughts on giving them a shot.

I have mentioned this before..........Is anyone interested in doing a group project DIY trigger and E-Advance? Basically layout the schematics and PCB layouts for the trigger and E-advance and blueprints for the mechanical items.

Might be OK for some more savvy builders, but how often did you see Pete bailing out people who couldn't follow simple instructions to install a pre-built Pamco?

Como say wha?

I forgot to mention: the Hondaman unit uses the points only as a trigger, so they last forever and don't need adjustment. He recommends using new points, but plenty of people install it using what they have.

His failure rate is very low, but he warranties the unit. I let him know I alerted you guys about it, in case he gets a bunch of questions about using on the XS650 all of the sudden.

There is an optical trigger system, used to be called Piranha, but manufactured by Newtronic here in the UK
I have one fitted to my CB400/4. It’s been on there for 20yrs still works. It has no electronic advance so the ARU is still required, but no problem as the XS has this on earlier models at least.
You would use both coils as there are two pickups, not wasted spark.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/153358389223

Last edited:
I didn't mean to sound harsh. I mostly just meant work with Pete instead of taking from him.... you know?

I can contact Pete. Not sure how he'd feel about getting involved. He seems to have washed his hands of this.

I didn't mean to sound harsh. I mostly just meant work with Pete instead of taking from him.... you know?

I can contact Pete. Not sure how he'd feel about getting involved. He seems to have washed his hands of this.
Cant say i blame him after that debacle? Surprised there was no lawsuit with MikesXS.. This all happened long before i got here...

Pete's aware of this thread. One would think that if someone was Royally screwed over they would have some sort of comment on things. I have a lot of respect for what Pete did. Inventing a product, getting it to market and successfully selling it for a good number of years. I just can not understand why it ended the way it did.
upload_2019-7-20_18-23-53.png

Just my personal opinion is I think Pete owes this forum some sort of explanation. The forum supported him as much or more than he supported the forum.

Just my personal opinion is I think Pete owes this forum some sort of explanation. The forum supported him as much or more than he supported the forum.

An explanation for what?
He shared his instructions a decade ago on how to make your own. When people asked for a product, he came out of retirement and made it. He offered technical help above and beyond anything you have EVER seen from any other supplier. He developed a 277 ignition, an E-advance, a Honda twin and Honda 4 ignition. Only to be ripped off by someone he worked closely with to distribute his product.
Pete doesn't owe us shit. We all owe Pete an enormous THANK YOU.

What would you do if you were ripped off like he was?

Now....back to the original intent of this thread....

Thoughts on the Hondaman or Tyrtronic ignition(s)?

Hondaman did tell me: "There's some of these out there on the Yamaha twins of several sorts. Most of their spark advancers have issues similar to the Honda twins, so the owners must shim up the points cams to prevent the weak-spark problem when using this unit. Even so: it's still the only electronic ignition that provides 100% backup!"

His " technical" help was hit and miss. He would let people flounder around for days while members of the forum tried to help them. Should have been his job. He sold them the product and took their money. You seem to overlook something. He did this for a profit not out of the goodness of his heart. Just so you know I bought one of his last units, had a problem and he treated me like $hit. No support whatsoever.

Edit: Rant over I'll stay off your thread. Good thread. nice to see other options.

His " technical" help was hit and miss. He would let people flounder around for days while members of the forum tried to help them. Should have been his job. He sold them the product and took their money. You seem to overlook something. He did this for a profit not out of the goodness of his heart. Just so you know I bought one of his last units, had a problem and he treated me like $hit. No support whatsoever.

Edit: Rant over I'll stay off your thread. Good thread. nice to see other options.

Yeah.... try contacting Dyna when your ignition fails. See what you get.

Maybe he was busy. Maybe going for a ride or flying. Maybe he was just tired of getting bent over by a vendor he dealt with for years.

I know Pete personally. 99.9999% of electrical components are sold as-is with a no refund/no return policy.
Pete gave this community years of his time. He was a one man operation. I'm sorry about your experience. There are literally thousands more that are different.

I forgot to mention: the Hondaman unit uses the points only as a trigger, so they last forever and don't need adjustment. He recommends using new points, but plenty of people install it using what they have.

His failure rate is very low, but he warranties the unit. I let him know I alerted you guys about it, in case he gets a bunch of questions about using on the XS650 all of the sudden.

5 year 100% Warranty...........and at $78.00.........

Back