Over polished?

Gator xs2

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody have a process or recipe to knock down high polish or polish up case covers so they look stock and not over polished. Thanks.

My method has been to use the blue Dico wheel in the direction the stock scratch lines go then follow up with blue magic on a cotton buff, work that til you like the look. done this on engine side covers and fork tubes.

fork tube detail.jpg

Thanks Gary. I don’t know what a blue dico wheel is. I’ve got wire wheels,scotch brite wheels, orbital sanders, vibrating sanders, all different grits, steel wool, a bench buffer with different rouges, and still can’t figure it out.

I think the closest I came was 320 powered and 00 stainless wool by hand. It was very time consuming.

Does anybody have a process or recipe to knock down high polish or polish up case covers so they look stock and not over polished. Thanks.
If you are already at the high polish stage, I would apply clear coat. That should knock the polish down some, and that's what they do at the factory, so theoretically you really would be creating a stock look. Can't say I've ever tried it, nor would I -- clear coat on aluminum is sort of the antithesis of detailing a motorcycle, I'm always trying to get rid of the stuff...

Back