Overdrive 5th. Do I Need Both Gears?

Monty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't found a definite answer. I am buying the overdrive gear from mikes. From what I've read it seems as though you only need the one gear, but on the website it states that you need to use their replacement 22 tooth main gear also. Is this true, or are they just trying to get more money out of me? My bike is 78, so I should be good there, I just don't want to spend more money than I have too. Thanks.

Posted via Mobile

You only need the Overdrive gear. It works with the other stock gear.

If you have the older-type transmission you would have to replace both of them, but I think you're good there.

Monty,yes the other replies are correct,you only need to replace your 5th gear(22tooth) with the 24 tooth overdrive gear.I just went on their site to see what the add states,and i see that they state to also use their 22 tooth when using the overdrive replacement?! That's what happens when non-motorcycle riding/owning "business" men buy a company like Mike's.They start changing adds and things around (to improve sales) when they have no idea what the hell they are talking about.It will only get "better" as time goes on.Good luck with your bike Monty.

im glad you asked this question i am going to fix my 1st gear problem and while there put the 5th gear in also and was gong to buy both:wtf: so you saved me some bucks thanks:thumbsup:

Stock 5th gear is already a mild overdrive. I guess the one you can buy is more overdrive.

If you have the older-type transmission you would have to replace both of them, but I think you're good there.

Not so sure that's completely correct. For the XSD Yamaha changed the splines on the shafts too so the individual gears are not reliably interchangeable.

Found this. It may help.

P2040001.jpg

P2040002.jpg

Back