Overdrive 5th gear

- rotation is 24/23 = 4.4% higher at all speeds in 5th gear - you could also say that engine rotation is about 4.4% less
- its possible that you may have to be more careful setting the clutch afterwards, a 1 piece push rod helps

Anyone have any insight into the second statement? Why does the OD 5th gear affect the clutch adjustment? What does the 1 piece push rod do that helps?

Less flex in the middle as opposed to the two piece with the ball in between.
XSJohn used to dimple his rods to achieve the same thing.

has anyone got a picture of the gearshift bracket or shroud piece that needs to be ground off ?
My engine is in bits and I've never seen one built yet so I am not sure which bit would require relieving :shrug:

The only mods you need to do on the shift shaft is remove the chain guide when running the 18 tooth front sprocket. Some have ground away some of the shift shaft to provide a extra bit of clearance.
Leo

The only mods you need to do on the shift shaft is remove the chain guide when running the 18 tooth front sprocket. Some have ground away some of the shift shaft to provide a extra bit of clearance.
Leo

thats what I was referring to :wink2:

so.....has anyone got a picture showing what needs to be ground off ?

I'd like to fit an 18T but not if I have to hack the bike about

Last edited:
Nothing needs to be ground off. If you run an 18t front sprocket, the plastic guard on the shifter shaft needs to be removed. If you run a loose chain your chain will grind on the shifter shaft. Thats all...Maybe some chains are bigger than others and one will need to grind a bit off the shifter shaft to get the needed clearance.

Nothing needs to be ground off. If you run an 18t front sprocket, the plastic guard on the shifter shaft needs to be removed. If you run a loose chain your chain will grind on the shifter shaft. Thats all...Maybe some chains are bigger than others and one will need to grind a bit off the shifter shaft to get the needed clearance.

if nothing needs to be ground off why is everyone saying you need to grind off the shifter shaft guard ?
POST SCRIPT
I guess I'll have to wait until I've built my engine and then evaluate it myself.
By that time i should be able to see what interference there might be to the chain for myself

Last edited:
Here is what a 18 tooth looks like on the bike, this is on my 81 special. The chain is a 520 setup.
the groves on the shift shaft are from when my 1st last chain was on the bike to long (tight, way loose,tight) caught me by suprize or when it got to loose.
The bike is on the center stand.
The bike is in the shed to get it ready for summer. New chain and sprockets will be ordered next week.
I will go 18-33 again, seems about right to me.

:)I would like that over drive gear someday.

Attachments

• 20130413_005.jpg
    20130413_005.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 489
  • 20130413_006.jpg
    20130413_006.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 456
Ive run 18's up front on all my XS's over the last 35 years.. Never had issues & never had to grind off or remove anything ..

Here is what a 18 tooth looks like on the bike, this is on my 81 special. The chain is a 520 setup.
the groves on the shift shaft are from when my 1st last chain was on the bike to long (tight, way loose,tight) caught me by suprize or when it got to loose.
The bike is on the center stand.
The bike is in the shed to get it ready for summer. New chain and sprockets will be ordered next week.
I will go 18-33 again, seems about right to me.

:)I would like that over drive gear someday.

thanks Blue finally a picture so that I can see what everone is talking about. :banghead:

I have been thinking about ordering an overdrive gear for weeks but the shipping costs and shipping time are making me feel ill !:yikes:
Pity as I still haven't closed my cases yet so if I'm ever going to fit one.......

Nice part of the World where you are I hear...my girlfriend had a 2x week mustang drive there last year at Medicine Lodge

thanks Blue finally a picture so that I can see what everone is talking about.

I have been thinking about ordering an overdrive gear for weeks but the shipping costs and shipping time are making me feel ill !
Pity as I still haven't closed my cases yet so if I'm ever going to fit one.......

Nice part of the World where you are I hear...my girlfriend had a 2x week mustang drive there last year at Medicine Lodge

It would be nice to have that overdrive 5th gear for cruising. But we just have to do what we can.
I need to have one ready when I pull an engine down.

There are lots of nice place to see we take it for granted, Mostly a commuter these days. But I have plans for more fun rides.
We go camping near Medicine Lodge on the Montana side for a week each summer, it would be really fun to explore on a bike.

No....its not drastic like you might expect it to be.

Id always thought 5th gear was so close to 4th it might as well not exist....alot of time when I was in 5th I swore I was still in 5th.

The "overdrive" makes it "more like" you'd expect with any other bike. There is definitely not gap or dead spot.....still plenty of pull.

....alot of time when I was in 5th I swore I was still in 5th.

definitely my quote of the week !:thumbsup::D

i wanted to ask another dumb question ...ahem cough....

Why can't we change the rear wheel to a larger size to lower the gearing ? Are there no larger wheel rims than 16" that will fit the frame ? or is there another reason .

Just checked my swingarm and frame and there is very little clearance with a fat tyre on the back.My 130/90H/16" Kings All Weather tyre gives a rolling circumference of 1913mm .

Presumably the flat tracker fraternity use a different swingarm with more clearance for their 18" rear rims ?

Last edited:
18" wheel will give a slightly taller gearing than the 16", maybe = to 1/4 to 1/2 a tooth on the back, coupled with a 33 tooth rear sprocket would be = to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 tooth taller rear sprocket and with mikes 5th gear, = to another 1 1/2 tooth on the rear in top gear.

So through the 4 gears you won't loose any torque and in top you will be equivalent to running a 17/31 sprocket

Back