Paint, enamel or powdercoat?

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to refinish my chainguard. I have some paint left over from the gas tank and side covers. That way I save money. I want to know if painted chain guards hold up to the rigors of riding or should I have the chain guard enameled or powdercoated. The bike is not being restored to factory new.

If you want it to look like it just came out of the factory then paint it - IMHO powder coating looks 'thick'. It is also difficult to repair any damage.
If you used rattle cans for tank and side covers then with a bit of work you can get good results but it would not be as durable as a two pack paint. Rattle cans are cheap but professionally applied will cost but this can be reduced if you do all the prep.
Also consider using the VHT paints which I have found to be very durable and I suspect that the heat curing contributes towards this.

Undoubtedly, but factory paint often isn't the best. I have still to see powder coat that can get the glass like finish that a painted surface can achieve with a little work.
It certainly isn't as durable as a two pack paint.

But as they say, beauty is in the eye....etc. etc. and we all have different tastes.

I want to refinish my chainguard. I have some paint left over from the gas tank and side covers. That way I save money. I want to know if painted chain guards hold up to the rigors of riding or should I have the chain guard enameled or powdercoated. The bike is not being restored to factory new.

Hi shadow,
hey, my chainguard is chromed from the factory but if yours wasn't and as you already have the paint, fizz it on, eh?
And if you keep the chain oiled properly the only rigor the guard will have is being coated with chain lube.

Back