1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Paint Project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TimG, Jul 16, 2019.

1. TimG

TimG XS650 Enthusiast

I airbrushed the platinum metallic stripe last night.
    IMG_7480.JPG IMG_7479.JPG

2. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

3. Wordman

Wordman XS650 Enthusiast

Not that TimG has done anything wrong (he absolutely hasn't), but it's better to put down a coat of epoxy primer, then do body work, then high build epoxy to finish.

MaxPete likes this.
  4. TimG

TimG XS650 Enthusiast

Pete: I pulled the tape after about 15 minutes. I am using a pretty fast reducer, so the paint is flashing quickly.

MaxPete and Wordman like this.
  5. TimG

TimG XS650 Enthusiast

Sprayed clear last night. This has not been sanded or polished yet.

IMG_3644.JPG IMG_7424 2.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    59Tebo, Wordman, Bushyeyed1 and 3 others like this.
  6. Bewarethemoon

Bewarethemoon XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

7. TimG

TimG XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks Daniel. Looking forward to posting the finished bike pictures soon. I have a new halogen headlight, new grips, a tach block off cap, new rubber mounts for the tank, new fuel lines and new barbed carb boots to install and then I am going to need to find something else to do with my time!

Bewarethemoon and MaxPete like this.
  8. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Beautiful job Tim - that is very smart indeed!

9. Bushyeyed1

Bushyeyed1 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Looks really good thanks for sharing.

10. Wordman

Wordman XS650 Enthusiast

How long between base and clear? Most base coats need to be top coated within 24 hours (or less), what's the specs on yours? What product are you using?

11. TimG

TimG XS650 Enthusiast

7 days per the PD sheet. I was right at the end of the window with stripes and life getting in the way. I color sanded prior to top coat so I am not worried about adhesion. Otherwise I could have sprayed an inter-coat clear to and then striped over that which would have extended the window. My base is Martin Senour PRO Base and I am using the FC720 Ultimate Clear.

MaxPete and Wordman like this.
  12. Bewarethemoon

Bewarethemoon XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

I’m looking forward to seeing them!

Daniel.

13. Wordman

Wordman XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks!