Paint Rust Look on Tank

ChuckT

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am doing a build where I want the tank to look rusted, but I also want the look to last. I have been doing research on it online, and I can see different ways to actually rust the tank, from using chlorine, salt/vinegar, etc. to just leaving it outside for a week or two, which is also fine. But my question is regarding if I clear coat it, will the look actually stay and be durable. So I am trying to decide between:

1. Rusting the tank, wiping it, and putting multiple layers of clear coat on it

2. Priming the tank, then painting it a metallic look, then mixing some paints to get a rust color and paint/sponge the look, followed by clear coats.

Thoughts?

You'd have to neutralize the rust with any number of commercially available rust conversion products and then clear it so that the oxidation would not become active again through time.

edit: or, brush down the scale with scotchbrite or similar so it is mostly flat, then apply a suitable clearcoat which should prevent oxygen from reaching the existing rust and base metal, therefore stopping the process.

If you have access to an airbrush, you can buy this (for painting models)...and it really looks like rust, dries to a flat muted finish:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mod...ei=jogWV_2rCOK_jgSnoZJI#imgrc=fHO9cCqGEjH4tM:

You can also do a salt technique on your paint...if you're into a more vintage/patina look. While this is an example on a plastic model, it would work the same on anything you're painting, just a little larger scale. Check out this vid:

I've done a few models, and it's really not hard.

Ah, ya...I recognize that bike. Cool build...so to me, the rust on there looks like they used a "wash" technique... starting with a stripped/bare metal tank...then they soaked a sponge/rag or something with a "rust-like" solution and blotched it on the tank...with a random pass over the bulk of the tank...and then heavier spots on top (wringing it out even) to get it to drip down the sides. Then clear coated the whole thing (satin finish).

My guess is they used a simple technique to get rust to paint with... essentially, you take steel wool, place in a cup of distilled white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. In a little while, the wool rusts, and that can be used to stain your tank.... check out this video for what I'm referring to:

At least that's what it looks like to me.

Yep - I think that process is probably what I need as it looks pretty close. Then I guess I will do what buzzword says and try to find a good clear coat that will hold up in the sun.

I researched this for a while myself too, there are multiple ways to achieve it and Penetrol (a paint additive oil based made from linseed oil if I remember correct) works also.

I ended up doing the above and it worked in about 10 minutes. Only do it once though as it continues to darken for a bit. I did it twice and the rust came out a little darker than I wanted, but it is fine.

VMD had me tAlking to a friend bike builder/restorer. He had a '54 Triumph flattracker that looked like it came off the track in 54. He shared some secrets. Multiple coats and sanded through. Leave a ghost image of the Triumph name. Age with wood stain shot through an air brush.

I am doing a build where I want the tank to look rusted, but I also want the look to last. I have been doing research on it online, and I can see different ways to actually rust the tank, from using chlorine, salt/vinegar, etc. to just leaving it outside for a week or two, which is also fine. But my question is regarding if I clear coat it, will the look actually stay and be durable. So I am trying to decide between:

1. Rusting the tank, wiping it, and putting multiple layers of clear coat on it

2. Priming the tank, then painting it a metallic look, then mixing some paints to get a rust color and paint/sponge the look, followed by clear coats.

Thoughts?

Hi Chuck,
I think that's too much work.
if I wanted a rusty looking tank I'd go buy one at a swap meet and bolt it on.
If/when it started leaking, I'd either go buy another one or patch the leak with blobs of solder..

Fong Bros are the resident expert on getting this look. One of them is kinda surly.

Back