Paint Systems

ScooterMagoo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am currently creating a custom café racer. I was wondering what painting systems you guys have used and like. I like the House of Kolor's stuff, but was wondering if there is a "middle of the road" type system that won't break the bank. I need a system that starts with an epoxy primer for direct to metal application and build off of that with a primer/sufacer and a basecoat/clearcoat. This bike is going to be a higher end build and I have been using all top shelf parts so I don't want to skimp on paint. But I don't want to go broke, either. I have used Finish 1 clear coat sold at the local Napa auto parts but, from what I read, is not really rated as a "custom" system, more of a production system. I used the Finish 1 clear on another bike frame and wheels and I like how it turned out. It still looks slick and glossy after 3 years. Maybe it doesn't matter because the bike lives in a garage most of its life, maybe I don't need the super high quality stuff. Any suggestions?

Scooter I have now gone to powder coating my tanks and tins. Thin I take them to my painter for detail designs. I have a very good coater that I like. $60 per tank.

I was going to powdercoat the frame and wheels. I did the wheels but the color isn't as glossy as I would like. I prefer to use conventional paint so I can cut and buff to a super glossy and smooth (no orange peel) show finish. You just can't do that with powdercoat.

I'm a fan of Axalta, aka the old Dupont brand.
If you can get NAPA Sherwin pants like finish one? I do it depending on if the sales people are knowledgeable etc thats IMO key.

Posted via Mobile

I don't know about your area napa, but over here, Sherwin Williams throws their paint to Martin Senour. second rate. The colors are sharp, but general concenses is to use a high quality clear, and know what your doing. I had a friend paint my 67 fairlane bright red with senour, and gloss over with acme clear. He's painted many cars, even in colder temps. It was about 95* for three days, sprayed on the third with gloss. The clear is now separted from the color. Almost everywhere. embarrassing. What was a 2k car, turned into a 9k car, turned into a 1,500 car. it all has to come off.
Do your research. Bite the bullet and spring for the good stuff.
I was warned before hand, and now I know why.

My Fairlane wasn't that much new.....lol 20150521_151020.jpg

20150521_151037.jpg

Thats right. Its a 500!:)

Posted via Mobile

I ended up using Omni epoxy and surface/primer. I used Deltron base coat and premium clear. I sprayed the frame and other bits this past weekend. I couldn't be happier. Its flat, smooth and very shiny.

Back