Paint - what's the best process

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Ok, Building my wife's xs650 bratstyle inspired. But how should I do the paint.

She eventually wants a black bike with a white or silver star on the tank. Which is the best process:

1. Paint the tank white or silver, Tape off and then paint black?
2. Paint the tank black then add the white or silver star or flames or whatever? I'm leaning toward this since money's tight and we could add the details later.
3. Clear coat after things are finalized.

I'm no expert but have to think that get the most real estate painted first is the easiest so #2 in my mind would be best. Without assuming too much anyway, it could change depending on the type of color, candy, pearl, satin, etc. But for a straight gloss black gloss silver, that should work.

Are you doing any powdercoating? Do the frame and the tank at the same time, and the black will match. Then paint a silver star, and clear with aerosol Spraymax 2K urethane. $20 a can, but it is catalyzed clearcoat.

You could also use rattlecan black, rattlecan silver, and spraymax clear, and have high gloss with great gas resistance.

We're thinking the black that's on my '08 raider (black with tiny sparkly flecks in it - looks like the night sky).

I've also thought about using silver leaf for the star. I'm going to rattle can the frame with a few coats of matte black.

Best way? Avoid rattle cans. Why are you guys so afraid of real paint? Paint base graphic, tape off what you want to keep. Spray the rest black. Use a nice quality urethane paint, then clear. It will look SO much better than any rattle can and be 4 times as strong. Jump in and do it!

Real paint is great. It costs real money, and means specific equipment like a compressor with appropriate filters, spray gun, respirator, etc. He claims money is tight.

Agreed, don't think fear of the paint is a issue, at least not with me. The fact is I have done a few very passable paint jobs with a rattle can and the 2K clear. That clear makes all the difference. I wish i could find rattle paint that had this type of nozzle. I just can't spend $$$$$$ for the things necessary to do "REAL" paint, but please DO wear a respirator when using the 2K.....nasty stuff :yikes:

Real paint is great. It costs real money, and means specific equipment like a compressor with appropriate filters, spray gun, respirator, etc. He claims money is tight.

find a place that will do a base and clear powdercoat - i got quoted for 100 dollars for tank and side covers. for graphics just get some custom automotive vinyl graphics.

theres no way i could do urethane paint myself for that cheap, and polyester powdercoat handles fuel so much better than paint.

Be careful if both coats are going to be metallic. If you tape over the metallic you run the risk of pulling off some flake when un-taping, thus causing a splotchy look.

If your black and silver are both going to be metallic, you may want to try to find an intercoat clear to go over with the next coat, then tape of that and spray your next coat, then clear the entire thing.

No personal experience with the stuff though, only heard about it.

Agreed, don't think fear of the paint is a issue, at least not with me. The fact is I have done a few very passable paint jobs with a rattle can and the 2K clear. That clear makes all the difference. I wish i could find rattle paint that had this type of nozzle. I just can't spend $$$$$$ for the things necessary to do "REAL" paint, but please DO wear a respirator when using the 2K.....nasty stuff :yikes:
I have used a few different "types" of Alsa's paint they are VERY good products. Check out this site http://www.alsacorp.com I do however prefer the Spraymax 2K when it comes to the money, or lack of. Alsa sells kits that can cover any motorcycle tank and side covers/fenders for around $100-150.

The "Crazer" paints are the sh!t, and are relatively easy to do...I did a tank a couple of years ago with the copper patina color and it looked like a $500+ paint job.

They sell cans of base coats for $40 and they are worth every penny, combine that with clear 2K for $20 and you'll have a beautiful $60 paint job, with proper prep of course.

On their web site just scroll down to the "KILLER CANS" and check them out.

you can get real paint for short money and you will still get a better product then what your going to get out of a can. any jobber is going to offer the best paint and the cheapest paint. i can get a pint of toyota silver (common toyota silver seen on all scions) for $26 i could paint your whole bike with that and all your buddys bikes... id put the black down, then do star. masking the star would be hard w/o a plotter because the points are so fine. if the do the star last you can make the points crisp. good luck!!

you can also simply have the star cut from vinyl at a local sign shop and apply it on the finished product...

Back