Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
Right you are Paul.... it's 1.0 mm

Untitled.png

Amazing that you spray primer through a 1mm tip and get it to lay so smooth. Do you use the same size for basecoat/clearcoat? I looked into that primer and it's expensive stuff, but if it'd be good for lining tanks based on your test, it would be worth every penny to buy a gallon. Are you planning on testing it inside a tank anytime soon?

Amazing that you spray primer through a 1mm tip and get it to lay so smooth. Do you use the same size for basecoat/clearcoat?
I don't use a zahn cup or anything like that so I can't give you any numbers..... but I tend to shoot all paints, primers and topcoat pretty thin. Thinner than most recommendations, but that was how I was taught. It flows and glosses out much better that way... just means you have to shoot more coats. Prolly try the tank slosh in the spring when I can let it sit outside.

So.... I know Pete's just dyin' for an update. :whistle:
Went ahead and pulled the modded tank off the stand and put Pete's on it. Modded tank is on hold for now... payin' customers come first.
Tank is now primed, along with the sidecovers.

Petes tank primed.jpg

Sanded with 600 and a semi-hard block as previously described and that turned up a couple spots on the tank that needed a little extra attention.

a little glaze.jpg

Sidecovers were perfect right out of the gate... ready for color.

ready for color.jpg

Sue and I have come to an agreement... I won't paint on her days off... and she won't throttle me. :er:
So, hopefully do the color and first clear coat on Monday.

So.... I know Pete's just dyin' for an update. :whistle:
Went ahead and pulled the modded tank off the stand and put Pete's on it. Modded tank is on hold for now... payin' customers come first.
Tank is now primed, along with the sidecovers.

View attachment 160957

Sanded with 600 and a semi-hard block as previously described and that turned up a couple spots on the tank that needed a little extra attention.

View attachment 160958

Sidecovers were perfect right out of the gate... ready for color.

View attachment 160959

Sue and I have come to an agreement... I won't paint on her days off... and she won't throttle me. :er:
So, hopefully do the color and first clear coat on Monday.

Oooh, I’m really looking forward to seeing this one! Lucky Pete! :geek:

I learned a lot from this thread Jim. Thanks for the inspiration and lessons. Attached are before and after pics. Bought this 79 late last summer and slowly been working on it. I know the Specials aren't for everyone, but I happen to like this one. Electrical system was all buggered up and not charging. Did the reg/rec mod, fixed ignition switch issues, then proceeded to work front to back rebuilding the usual...shocks, brakes, charging, tune-up/adjustments as needed, seat recovered, polishing, etc. Nothing overly difficult, just tedious and fun in the middle of winter. Beats sitting in front of the TV. Then your thread here inspired me to attempt painting the tins. 5 coats of candy wine with five coats of glam clear coat, wet sand and polish in between. Turned out good for my first full paint job by hand, although learned a lesson on clear coat...that stuff will run quick if you're not careful. Previous XS I painted was using 2k spray cans which turned out good but not near as good as using a good spray gun and proper equipment. Really appreciate the "how-to" lessons on here, Jim. Now I gotta determine which XS's I'll be selling, lol. Can't keep em all.

Attachments

• 79 XS 3-20-19.jpg
    79 XS 3-20-19.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Restored 1979.jpg
    Restored 1979.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 212
I operate under a two bike limit

Funny, my wife keeps griping about me having too many bikes and taking up garage space. I say you can't count those that are in pieces as a motorcycle. Just buy it and tear it down Mailman, then store the pieces in different areas. There's always a way around the boss' rule, lol.

then store the pieces in different areas.
...bodies?... :eek:
I operate under a two bike limit, a deal I struck years ago.
That reminds me of a gunsmith I knew. He told me about "the old broomstick in the rifle case trick". He'd leave the house with a broomstick in a rifle case "I'm going to the range, dear." When he came home, he'd have a new rifle in the gun case. It worked perfectly, until she found all the broomsticks in the back of his truck. Maybe you could "stash" bikes elsewhere? :devil:

choose your fights wisely!
All jokes aside, the idea is for both parties to sit down and just lay their cards out on the table.
In my experience, both typically have some things that they want, and both have something they are willing to give up in order to get it.
The results can be surprising:
Often they come to realize that both want more sex, which is usually pretty easy to make happen :cheers:

...and she might want more shoes.
....and he might want another motorcycle.

Strike a deal.
:)

Back