Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
images
Stolen!

So, ran into the same problem with the XS1 sidecovers that I did with the ears.... being hung up with safety wire is fine for priming, but all that rocking to and fro ain't gonna hack it for for candy. Sure, I could lay 'em flat and just paint the outside like Marble Motors did with Mailman's covers, but that kind of, in my opinion, half assed work is beyond my OCD. No offense intended to you half assed guys out there. :sneaky:

Time for more fixtures..... holders... whatever. Rummaged through the junk buckets and came up with some appropriate bits.... 3/4 X .035" 4130 tubing, 1/4" mild steel rod and 1/2 X 1/8" strap. A little cuttin' bendin' and tiggin' and here we are....

View attachment 186300

View attachment 186298

View attachment 186299

View attachment 186301

Debated on building a stand to hold 'em. Finally decided screw it and drilled holes in the table to hold 'em.... close enough.:rolleyes:

View attachment 186302

That is some thorough workmanship Jim! I like it a lot!

The Man With the Golden gun :D
Somebody's gonna have a sweet lookin' XS1B.
4 coats of silver. 4 coats of gold. 4 coats of clear. Holy crap... I forgot just how tedious and time consuming candy's are to shoot.
Picked up a few spots of dust... nothing that won't cut and buff out though. Hey... it's a homemade paint room. :rolleyes:

200.jpg

201.jpg

DSC00545.JPG

The candy gold pieces that Jim has been posting -- those are mine. I just took delivery of the headlight ears and bucket. The color is an exact match of the repop shocks that I bought. I mean exact -- it couldn't possibly be any closer. The only difference is that it appears that Jim used more coats of clear, so his work is deeper -- more luscious.

Building something for the Handbuilt Show ?
No, the Handbuilt show is for customs, and I am doing a mostly stock-ish resto. When Moto GP in Austin got cancelled again, so did the Handbuilt Show, again.
My resto will be appropriate for the Harvest Classic in Luckenbach, whenever it gets held again.

Tip time.
Now that Mailman's cat tank is out of the bag, time for another tip. Striping... no matter how well you press the tape down, sometimes the striping paint will bleed under it.

1.jpg

No need to panic and kick the dog :cautious:.... it's fixable. First, let it dry for a day or two, then use some of your striping tape to back up your stripe. The idea here being a hard "ridge" for a razor blade to butt against. Put some tape on the opposite side too just in case. Now, using a single edge razor or Exacto knife, gently drag it across the "bleed" until you scrape it off. Be gentle and take your time. Trying to remove too much too fast will have you sanding the stripes off and starting over.... go slow.

4.jpg

2.jpg

You can see a few other rough edges on those stripes. I patiently cleaned all those up too.
Now you can go ahead and prep the whole tank for it's final clear coats. A little practice and nobody will ever know you had a boo boo there. :smoke:

6.jpg

Last edited:
Back