Painting your tank and side covers

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Spray cans get upturned noses on the internet. This is probably partly due old style can nozzles, trying to paint large panels, or just basic poor attempts at painting. My recent experience is that at least for something small like a tank or side cover you can get a finish with cans that's potentially better than what you'd get if you took it to a professional. I say better, because you can give as much attention as you want to the gloss and levelness of the paint.

What I know is in large part from this series of videos on youtube. I picked up useful bits of information from lots of other places before I started.

I started with the side covers, on the theory that inexperience would be less obvious than if it was on the tank. Then I proceeded to use the experience while doing the tank.

The side covers were plastic and very rough, maybe 15% dents and chips and loose paint. I used 220 grit wet paper to sand them. All sanding was wet. I didn't pay attention to getting off the old paint unless it was loose. I used a homemade small block to help sand dents out. Without a block there's a tendency to sand inside the dents, defeating the purpose. The next step was was to use Duplicolor high build brown primer. Give it a couple of extra shots where remnants of dents still remain. Sand with about 600 grit, rinse, and let dry. Repeat the priming and sanding until you're satisfied with the surface. Allow .5 to 1 hr between priming and sanding. There's no need for any blending sanding, because of the primer's thickness. New coats of primer will help you see any irregularities.

When you're satisfied, next comes color. I used Duplicolor Perfect Match Dark Cherry Metallic, supposedly a "perfect match" to the GM color of the same name. Start the spray past one end of the work and move it quickly across, and then past the the other end of the work, and go back the other direction. Overlap about 50% as you move up. Maintain a distance of about 9" from the work. The color will look very dull, and maybe mottled as well. That's ok, we're putting on the metallic paint "dry". Give it several coats about 1/2 hr apart, until the color is uniform. The surface reflectivity doesn't have to be uniform, but the density of color should be. Don't sand between coats of color. If the final color coat is very rough, give it a light sanding with about 800 grit, and then follow that with a final coat that you don't sand. You don't want to sand the final coat of metallic color.

Break out the Duplicolor Perfect Match clear. Give it about two or three coats, wait 1/2 hr, and sand with 800 grit then rinse and dry. For this sanding I made pads of corrugated cardboard cut from a box and wrapped the sand paper around it. When it's wet it conforms to the curves while still distributing your finger pressure. Don't sand into the color. Don't sand raised areas or edges or you will go through the clear. Repeat this process until the shiny spots where the sand paper doesn't hit disappear. The objective with the repeated clear and sanding is to eliminate those small spots - build up the finish, sand it down as much as you dare without hitting the color, then repeat, until the spots are gone. When the spots are gone to your satisfaction, give it one final coat of clear. If you sanded through to color, it's not a big deal, just apply more color if needed, followed by clear and sanding to that place.

Let the final clear dry two or three days. Now comes the fun part. The irregularities will all disappear and you will get a uniform mirror shine. This is where shortcomings due to spray cans disappear. Get some 2000 grit paper, it must be 2000 grit, and begin sanding the final coat of clear using the cardboard pad. Rinse occasionally. When it is all sanded and the spots are gone, give a thorough rinse. Break out the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. Cut a piece of bath towel and wrap it around a cardboard pad. Use the rubbing compound until the surface won't get any shinier. This will take maybe 20 minutes with a side cover. Rinse it very thoroughly. Now switch to Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. You do not want to get rubbing compound mixed with the polishing compound so use a fresh piece of towel and pad. Polish until it is shiny as it will get with this compound, about another 20 min. If you want you can follow this with Turtle Wax swirl remover, for an ultimate shine.

The Tank.

The tank is basically the same but there are a few differences. I didn't go to bare metal because I didn't want to invite adhesion problems. I prepared the existing finish and painted it, the way they would paint your car.

For the chips in the tank paint, I used a putty knife and enlarged them until the paint became hard to remove. Some tiny chips turned into some quarter size ones that way as I got the loose paint off. But it was the paint separating from the primer, with most of the primer remaining on the tank still. I followed up with high build primer on the chips. I used a rigid block to sand those areas made from a little slat of wood like you could break off of a ruler. Prime, sand, repeat until the chips are filled. Then give the whole thing a good coat of primer, and begin with color as before.

Ah - taping off the tank. Put masking tape where the petcock goes, extending outside of where the o-ring goes, to keep gas away from the paint. Tape the filler opening about 1/8" down from the top of the opening.

Continue with the clear as on the side covers. For the final clear you will probably want to use fuel proof clear. I used Spraymax 2k, which was interesting stuff. I used Duplicolor clear for the first clear layers on the tank to build it up at less expense. When you get ready for fuel proof clear, remove the tape from the filler and re-tape it with the tape straight across the opening. This will help prevent fuel from getting under the clear.

With the Spraymax, I put the tank upside down and sprayed several coats a few minutes apart on the bottom. I let it dry a couple of hours and then forgot about the bottom and put it on a box on my stand, so that it was only in contact with four points. I used a whole can on the tank with about maybe 15 minutes between coats. There was enough for five or six coats. There was a lot of orange peel, not overspray but uniform orange peel which I wasn't expecting. Not chemical reaction, just something to do with application.

The next day, the Spraymax was about as hard as the lacquer had been, so I did final sanding and polishing on it, exactly the same as with the side covers. The Spraymax is so hard now a couple of weeks later, that it might be hard to sand and polish.

The Turtle Wax products work with hand polishing. Some other brands are only good for machine.

When ready to remove the tape from where the petcock was, cut it around the periphery first, so it won't tear the clear.

So, nothing wrong with cans if you do it right. No reason to feel like second class citizens. Smooth and shiny is smooth and shiny, no way to tell whether it came from a can or a gun. I think it was probably under $75.

No proof without pics. There is a company selling Yamaha colors in spray cans now, somewhere on the net

I have turned out amazing looking jobs with rattle can paint. It goes the same as reg auto paint. You have to PREP PREP PREP IT GOOD. Did a out board engine cover for my buddies 225 black max, it looked like it came out of a booth when I was finished. I always use good clear. Jammin clear from Transtar seems to be the best clear i have used out of a can, it holds up well in the sun. better then others I have used.

Last edited:
Excellent write up! I just did this over the summer to my '74, with a few small detail differences. I went with solid black w/no metal flake(Walmart lacquer $.98/can). My tank and covers had 8(I counted 'em) layers of paint on 'em, and the top was something that would not sand w/o balling up in the paper(it had runs 1/16" thick, so I started with 150 dry). Eventually decided to strip it, which in turn uncovered a good bit of filler. I probably put 20 hrs into filling and sanding, using a damp sponge as a block, finishing with spot putty and 220 wet.

I find that when looking for low or high spots, using a rag or bit of cloth under your finger tips is much more revealing than using just your fingers. Once I was satisfied(not happy, but acceptable) I went to a high fill primer and lightly went over it with 220 wet a few times. I used some local applications of regular red oxide primer when chasing imperfections, but much of that was sanded off.

The trick with the cheap Walmart lacquer is to lay it on heavy, but in light coats. You may get some orange peel, but if you get enough paint on w/o getting a run the peel will flow out. Never allow the spray pattern to linger in one spot.

After a week of cure at 80 deg or better in the garage, I wet sanded with 2000, lightly with the sponge for backing. Then a quick pass with 3000, then rubbed with Mirror Glaze #7. The downside is it ain't tough. I've got chips and scratches already, but hopefully they will buff out before I put wax on it in the spring. And I got a gnat or 2 that are now part of the bike, down side of painting outdoors in the early morning calm. The pics below are right after shooting. Pics make everything look good, but all in all I think it's a perfectly reasonable result for a backyard budget job.

Next go 'round I think I'll go with a base/clear as described above, it looks to be a lot tougher than bare color. Any thoughts on trying to lay clear over what I've got before I put wax on it?

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 440
(Walmart lacquer $.98/can).... decided to strip it,.... The downside is it ain't tough. I've got chips and scratches already, but hopefully they will buff out before I put wax on it in the spring. ...Next go 'round I think I'll go with a base/clear as described above, it looks to be a lot tougher than bare color. Any thoughts on trying to lay clear over what I've got before I put wax on it?

The great thing about lacquer is that if it messes up you can just wait a half hour, wet sand a little, and do it over. BTW, what I wrote in the op would not work with enamel.

For the chips I'd probably mask off an area maybe an inch bigger than the chip and then give it quite a few coats of lacquer. Then remove the masking and carefully level it like I did with the primer. It would be a touchier than with the primer but it would work. Then finish sand and polish.

I thought about stripping my side covers before I knew what I was doing, they are plastic side covers, I tried a dab of Citristrip on the inside, but it softened the plastic, I could scrape it with my fingernail, so I changed direction :) In my case it wasn't necessary to strip it at all, but at first I thought it would make it easier. It was easy enough without it.

If you don't put some kind of fuel proof clear on the tank, it'll eventually get messed up. The only fuel resistant one in a can that I know of is the Spraymax 2k. It is reportedly dangerous stuff. I worked outdoors, wore coveralls and rubber gloves, worked upwind, and didn't breathe. Before I started I realized I could hold my breath long enough to get a coat on, then step upwind and breathe some.

If you wanted to put a coat of that on you could wet sand what you have with about 800 grit and go at it. The next day or the day after you'd have to sand and polish like you already did. I'd test it first on the bottom of the tank just to make sure there was no reaction with your brand of lacquer. I was reading everywhere about people putting it over Duplicolor lacquer so I wasn't worried about that.

Very good write-up, xjwmx. I, too, am a rattle-can affectionado. Spray can tech has really come a long way, and too much work to set up the spray gun stuff for these smaller jobs. Anxious to try that SprayMax 2K. Had good results using Helmsman SparVar gloss clear, very tough, good flowout, high skin tension, makes it really glossy, but concerned about reports of it 'yellowing' over time.

Have that spray chrome kit, will be trying that out sometime later.

I do the fill/primer sanding outside, with a variety of small foam-backed pads and wet-or-dry, with a constant water mist from the garden hose spraygun. Watching the thin water film in the sunlight brings out the surface imperfections.

But, I tire of the shaking, so made a spinning mixer contraption. Let it run for 2-3 minutes, paint comes out well mixed...

Attachments

• Shaker-1.jpg
    Shaker-1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Shaker-2.jpg
    Shaker-2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 327
I used Spraymax products with great results too. They have a system where they can cutom match your base color and inject it into a spray can. It is one part base, same as a bodyshop uses on a car repair. After that is applied then use the 2K clear over it. That is the only true way to get a fuel resistant seal, an absolute for your gas tank. They even make a 2 part epoxy in a can. I used it on a frame but the gloss was not that great but it is one hard finish. My last frame was sprayed with Rustoleum Pro that is available from Home Depot. It has a super nice gloss and after it cures for a week or so it is fairly hard. A good compromise for cost and application. If you are looking for a cheap way out on a tank try Ace Hardware brand spray paint. I used satin black in the tall can and after curing for a week it is actually fuel resistant. I did a few tanks for that rat bike look and it does not get fazed when you drip gas on it. That is the only paint I found that can hold up from a one shot can.

SprayMax rattle cans are top shelf. I have always gotten a pro- looking job when I have used them, and I have painted 5 bikes with them now.

The only downside is that they cost about $15-25 per can, depending on the color and add-ins. That can get expensive, especially if you're doing multi color jobs with a separate clear coat.

Its WAY cheaper to buy paint for a spray gun... but the initial investment of the gun setup can be steep. It depends on how many paint jobs you're going to do.

I HIGHLY recommend the SprayMax rattle cans. They are the best rattle cans you can buy.

2-Many, any idea of the approximate RPM of that puppy?

I'm sorting through my cultch pile now scrounging up parts for one :thumbsup:

2-Many, any idea of the approximate RPM of that puppy?

I'm sorting through my cultch pile now scrounging up parts for one :thumbsup:

Hey, Downeaster! Just took a reading:

Freewheeling = 500 rpm
1/2 full paint can = 400 rpm (like the video)
Full can = 300 rpm

Took it apart, got some pics, put it in the 'homemade tools' thread (posts 134, 135, 136):

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37

Last edited:
Back