1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Site Down 12/11/19: I took the site down this afternoon for maintenance. Things went wrong, but everything is fixed and working again now. Sorry for the inconvenience! Discussion
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Pamco 277 Wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert Dell Aquila, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Hows it going all, recently purchased a Pamco 277 igniton to replace my point model on my rephased 78 650. Was having timing issues and decided to upgrade to the Pamco. I installed the ignition using Hughes's guide. The problem I'm having is wiring to my coils. The wires coming out of the coils are different on each coil. On the left side there is an orange and brown wire. On the right an orange and red/white wire. The previous owner had the orange wires hooked up to the kill switch. And the red/white and brown wires hooked up to the two black wires coming from the condensor. Pretty sure this wiring is wrong from what I've been reading. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Attached Files:

2. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    Not sure what the stock wiring diagram calls for but it does not matter. I would probably use the orange wires for the power leads. You could use the brown and red/white if you like. The coil will not know the difference.

3. I was wondering because I've read on different forums that it does matter about which wires go where.

4. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    The coil will build a magnetic field no matter which way the current enters it and will collapse (once the points or electronic device opens the circuit) creating the spark from the secondary coil.

Jim likes this.
  5. Alright I guess I'll give a go. Wanted to make sure before I went and kicked it over. Thanks

6. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Primary wiring polarity doesn't matter on dual output coils. It does on the points-type single output coils. Originally, the brown and red/white wires went to switched +power, and the orange (sometimes grey) wire went to the grounding side, originally the points and condensers. More info on single output coil polarity:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/mikesxs-stock-coil-replacement-connections.53060/

7. Ok makes sense. Have you done this swap your self? My problem was my bike would start up fine. Would ride around a little and then it would die. My bike would still run even with the coil wires swapped. Just not to the appropriate voltage.

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  8. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Sounds like you're dealing with more than one issue...

9. Theres always more than one issue. ALWAYS. I'm going to take your advice and swap the coil wires. Hopefully I can get my timing down. Thanks

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.