pamco + banshee swap = charging problems

ludwig

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I was told by a member on another forum to drop a line here and maybe you could give me a hand. I'm having a difficult time getting my battery to charge which is causing misfiring and my bike to eventually just die. I'll just copy and paste my post from there, I think that would be easiest.

"I'm just beating my head against a wall with this swap. I got everything running, but it's killing batteries. I started with a cap, but it would putter out at idle. I figured it was because I was running two headlights, but even after running no lights for 10 minutes it would die. then I went to a scooter battery, same deal. now my 5 bs is doing the same thing. I haven't ever really been able go very far on it, sans the time I took it on the highway, but after I got off it started doing the same thing.

I thought it was a symptom of a bad stator, so I ran a couple checks. no ground on all three poles. .4 ish ohms between poles with engine off, and 60 volts AC at every pole with engine running.

I'm using one of hugh's rectifiers. i need to borrow a digital gauge tomorrow to check charging (I was using an analog) , but the needle sat at about 12.6 on a worn battery and increased with rpm. I'm assuming it's ok, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

with the bike off, no drain on the battery. with it on, I get about 2 volts drain, coming from the coil. I'm using a pamco ignition and the highest output coil mike sells. Is this normal?

That all said should I be able to run my cap (25,000Uh) with two lights? Is this just another problem and I am running a battery for no reason?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, I'm kind of out of ideas at the moment."

"im running one of hugh's reg/rect - brand new. very simple wiring - 3 yellow in, green out to ground and red split to battery and coil (along with the pamco red wire) coil is a vt600 I believe - I installed it awhile ago so it's not really fresh in my head. it was on the list here. those tests I did should prove it's working, at least in my experience. It's not grounding out and I am getting the same amount of AC on all three poles. old banshee flywheel is from a shop - but that's just a magnet and should work fine. it's keyed and locked on correctly. the mounting plate is also hugh's.

ran over the wiring, no shorts. i have a 5lbs hooked up now - it was the old battery i tried to eliminate. I have tried that, a cap and a scooter battery all with the same results."

also I forgot to mention that the battery without lights sits at like 12.6 (figure the batter was 50%-70% charged) and climbs with rpms. however as soon as the lights come on it drops to about 7.5 volts.

thanks ahead of time for any help - hopefully i can be on the road by weeks end.

Try a brand new battery, as both of yours could be bad. I just had the same problems with mine, and it turns out that all 3 batteries I was using were failing when there was a load applied. They would read 12 volts with the meter, but when there was a load present, it would drop to 6-7 volts.

I'm going to try this later tonight, I'll post my results shortly after.

However, should the Cap work? or is two headlights too many? Also, how small of a battery can I get away with?

Make sure your battery is fully charged before trying to diagnose anything else. Start there and check your wiring. Kind of sounds like a under charged or bad battery OR a bad reg/rec or maybe the wiring is backwards.

how are you wired as of now?

get through this trouble shooting and you will be happy with the system.

Make sure your battery is fully charged before trying to diagnose anything else. Start there and check your wiring. Kind of sounds like a under charged or bad battery OR a bad reg/rec or maybe the wiring is backwards.

how are you wired as of now?

get through this trouble shooting and you will be happy with the system.

Hi, i have the same problem, got a kawasaki 600 stator ,stuf from hugh"s, banshee flywheel, a new small battery, just one headlight, runs great but when i put the lights on the problem starts, battery goes empty, when i stop bike shuts of at idlle , and then is it very,very hard to get it running again ( kick only)
somebody out there with this problem and fixed it?

greetzz tony

Have you checked the system with a voltage meter? I'll take a closer look at my system tonight and see if I can add anything to help.

I had a problem with mine running rough when I first put it together. It would idle fine, start up good, but would cut out at revs real bad. Popping and sputtering.
But, I had a brand new mini battery that some people have had luck with. Not me, it may have been my fault from tinkering with the engine off and on and trying to charge it wrong. Anyhow, I invested in a small 12V from rural king($30). Charged it on my trickle down accordingly and runs great now.

I'de still go through your wiring. Find some schematics on wiring. Look in the Tech section here in the forum.

What kind of ignition are you fellas using?

thrashin,

thats sounds like exactly the problem im having. I'm pretty sure the battery is the problem. i threw a new big battery on there and here is the results: battery sits at 12.81 with no load. bike started 12.89. bike reved - 13+. bike idle with lights - 12.55.

my question is how do I determine what size battery I should be using? I know the double head light set up is going to drain more. thanks dudes.

I haven't had much time to give to the 650 in awhile. I was going to drop by batteries plus and see if they have anything in stock that is comparable to the mini 12v that's been popular on ebay.

I would like to find one that we could use the wiring harness on and possible find an adaptor for a wall charger. Similar to how a real camcorder battery would work. There has got to be some thing that will work.
Plus I figure if I kill the thing in a weeks time again that I'd have better luck bringing it back into the store vs. sending on off the an ebay dealer and waiting for 3 weeks of turn around

so i switched to a charged battery and it holds pretty well. the headlights still drain the battery so I popped a bulb out and found that im running two 12v 55w h1 bulbs. I think its wayyyyyy to much drain, thats like running two highbeams at once. i unplugged one light and she was holding ok yesterday. I'll keep ya posted.

Back