PAMCO Electronic advance

xjwmx, to gain some credibility perhaps you could outline what positive contributions you have made to the XS650 community?

Thanks for taking this venture Pete and thanks to others like Pete (Hugh especially) for developing mods and sods to help us improve these beauties.

^Might keep you from getting stranded halfway to Oldcastle. Never know.

Don't buy it until it won't fry your coil under certain conditions like the original Pamco. Because it is a trivial feature for your guru to add if he truly loves you...

Hands up all you people who have blown your pamco, ( by not adhering to the instructions), and Pete has replaced it for free without obligation

ok hands up all those who haven't received a free replacement and after sales assistence from Pete, for blowing their Pamco up by nor following the installation and operation instructions.?:D

I don't see no hands ....:)

Pete
How soon do you think you will have the electronic advancer kit ready for the non point bikes. I have an 82 and was ready to order the Pamco kit that has the the advancer rod, bushings weights, etc.
I don't mind waiting a while, just not to long. : )
Thanks
Mark

Pete, I have been thinking this over...what does this system offer that your existing system already does not..??
I have one of your 277 units with mech advance & it performs flawlessly - I have a battery-less 1 kick bike & couldn't be happier. It is an electronic ignition in its simplest form & I love that.
Is this system aimed at the TCI crowd who don't want to buy the mech advance components if they are not needed..?? or is it just me..?? or are you sick of posting that youtube link to try & get people to check their mech advance is working..?? LOL
Personally for me it is adding complexity to an already fine product, I sure those that use it will love it.
Does it need battery voltage to operate & start (advance/retard etc) or will it start with a kick only bike & not be fully advanced..??
Not bashing your product (I love my pamco) just playing devil's advocate...???

hotdog,

The advance unit is intended for people who need to replace their advance anyway due to age and condition and for those who prefer an electronic advance when they buy a new electronic ignition system. It will not do any more than the mechanical advance and if you are happy with your mechanical advance, then you won't need the electronic version.

I originally introduced the PAMCO ignition so people, including me, could spend their Saturdays riding instead of screwing with the points. Now, I see a lot of threads where people are spending their Saturday mornings screwing with the advance weights and springs instead of riding even though they have a PAMCO , so it was just time to introduce the electronic advance.

In answer to your question about starting with a PMA kick only, the basic sensor pulse from the PAMCO will arrive in the electronic advancer fully advanced, but the advancer is really just a delay circuit, so the output will be delayed to position the timing at idle. This delay is then decreased as the RPM's increase until there is no delay at 3,000 RPM and the fully advanced signal will go through the advancer with no delay. It's pretty much the same approach that most electronic ignitions with electronic advance use.

Last edited:
I can't say how absolutely stoked I am to try this out on our 277 Engines... I personally have seen Pete develop the 277 ignition as a prototype for my first ever build - and even as a very early prototype it worked fantastic. Then as he found better ideas, he would ship me a new unit to test out - you really can't get any better than that. A USA made product, with a real genuine American who stands behind his products and his customers. I've installed well over 30 of these units, and they always work - the first time...

As for failing if you leave the key on? Never had it happen to me - can't say if it happens or not. What I do know, is that most all aftermarket carbs will flood out if you leave the petcocks on, and replacement tires will go flat if you never check the air pressure. Sometimes the trade-off for cool vintage bikes is that you pay a bit more attention to them.

All of my recent builds have been kick-only with a PMA and batteryless. Haven't found a more reliable way to run these engines to date...

Thanks for always pushing the envelope Pete, I can honestly say that most of these old bikes wouldn't be alive and running without ya...

One excellent vendor endorsing another excellent vendor. I own one of Pete's ignitions and Hugh's original build on Pirate is one of the things that got me into 650's in the first place. OK, I'll get off their dicks now...

Personally, I'm looking forward to the version that ditches the advance mechanism entirely. Keep up the good work Pete!

Pete, I've got a TCI bike if you need a test mule. When will it be avaliable?

Well, my '81/H is a former TCI bike and I have the advancer installed on it for road testing. It had already been converted for a PAMCO, however, so it has the mechanical advancer, rod etc. so right now I have just removed the springs from the mechanical advancer and tied the weights to the full advance position. The new electronic advancer then works just fine. I have yet to design the parts for a straight TCI to PAMCO with advancer, but I should have that done for release first quarter next year.

Here is a pic of the electronic advancer:

advance.jpg

It is so small that you do not have to actually install it. Just tie wrap it somewhere in the wiring harness.

What I will be looking for is a stock points bike with the OEM crude relay type voltage regulator that produces lots of noise on the 12 Volt brown wire.

like my all stock 73???? pleae pick me. Can I run two stock points coils off a pamco? (for stock appearance)

Doesn't look like there is too much materials-wise in it, hopefully the per unit cost isn't bad :)

Any reason you didn't add a simple MAP sensor to make a 3D map system?

Back