PAMCO Electronic advance

Doesn't look like there is too much materials-wise in it, hopefully the per unit cost isn't bad :)

Any reason you didn't add a simple MAP sensor to make a 3D map system?

Well, I think you would have to redefine simple and give me your estimate of what you think the cost would be.

I live in Austin, so I never have to stop riding. So if you need someone on an XS2 running a PAMCO and Hugh's PMA battery-less, I'm your guy.

Love you guys' stuff. My XS2 is the only vintage bike I've ever been around that is consistently a one-kick wonder every time.

I live in Austin, so I never have to stop riding. So if you need someone on an XS2 running a PAMCO and Hugh's PMA battery-less, I'm your guy.

Love you guys' stuff. My XS2 is the only vintage bike I've ever been around that is consistently a one-kick wonder every time.

You must not hang around many XS650 bikes that are well tuned and well maintained. These bikes are all one-kick.................if they aren't, then there's a problem with the bike.

What I will be looking for is a stock points bike with the OEM crude relay type voltage regulator that produces lots of noise on the 12 Volt brown wire.

The three terminal regulator in the pic probably has good enough line regulation to quiet things down. I am so hoping the 14 pin dip in the pic is a microprocessor.

i am very excited, (tent) I wantted to get a pamco for my 80' but the inside of my cam is all rusty and scaly, so i wasnt sure if the advance rod would work in there correctly.
btw, the original pamco was made with a baby food jar lid. I doubt any of those made it out to the general public. I got a 71 back on the road for a friend that hadnt had it on the road since 91(?), and I had all kinds of problems getting it to stay running right. Pete donated a basic pamco, I had it installed and running in 20 minutes. The guy that owns the 71' is very forgetful, and always leaves the iggy on, and it has yet to burn the coil. Thanks again pete. I look forward to getting one. My black box on my 80 works, but its over 30 years old.

You must not hang around many XS650 bikes that are well tuned and well maintained. These bikes are all one-kick.................if they aren't, then there's a problem with the bike.

This is actually my, and my acquaintances, first XS. Most people I know are still fighting to get their Honda CB's to start/idle.. Hahaha

Speaking of the hondas, will this advancer work on the odd-fire 350K 2-cylinder or is it only feasible for the 650 due to its 360* phasing? The CB350 I have probably could also benefit from both a Pamco and an advancer if it will work

Speaking of the hondas, will this advancer work on the odd-fire 350K 2-cylinder or is it only feasible for the 650 due to its 360* phasing? The CB350 I have probably could also benefit from both a Pamco and an advancer if it will work

I will be introducing a version for the CB's later.

I'm wondering if the basic Pamco as well as the pending electronic advance would work on a TX750? I suspect it might require one of the Honda rotors to mount on the points shaft?? I hope so.

Pete-just today I fired my 83 xs650 up and it stopped suddenly. Smoke was coming out of the TCI box and my coil is now out of spec on resistance. Looks like its time for some new parts..... Any ETA on the new system with the electronic advance? thx, CB

I'd like to register my interest in purchasing if that's ok. I bought a new advance that seems a bit short in advance range and the springs are too weak and I'm not fussed with tampering with it any further.

Well done again Pete.

Well, as soon as we get some riding weather back and come back from Christmas holidays, I will continue my road tests on my '81/H, which have gone well so far. Beta testing is next with a few daily riders and then it will be released for sale, both on my web site www.yamahaxs650.com and at MikesXS (www.mikesxs.com ).

Thanks for your interest

Thanks. With your new setup, will I still need to purchase all the other parts from Mikes? I'm talking about the points adv. rod, breaker plate screws, etc. I know I need a new coil, but I'm hoping I won't need to mess with the other things. I'll be watching the weather in S. Carolina.... CB

Will be keeping my eye on this. Just building my 2nd engine (just ordered my basic Pamco ignition) and it needs an advance.

So either I'll buy a 277 electronic advance and scavenge the mechanical advance from that bike, or I'll buy a standard electronic advance for this one. Any performance improvement from the electronic (aside from it's inherent stability and reliability)?

Would you recommend it for my 277 rephase 750cc Shell #1 ported engine or the stock motor I'm building that has the XS1 cam on a mildly ported head? If it's a big performance gain I'll put it on the 'race' motor which is likely going to see some track time this season.

Pete,
Looking forward to this for my 82, 277 re-phased, 750, electric start only street tracker project. Thanks for getting it made and let us know when its available.

Tim and Donny,

Just as the PAMCO was designed to replace the points, the new advance is designed to simply replace the advancer. There is no improvement per se in performance, but my experience so far with the XS650 and the CB450 is a much smoother advance as observed with the timing light and "seat of the pants" testing.

Can you give us an idea of what the advance curve is like? start advance RPM full advance RPM? is it a ramp? steps? cliff? Just wondering and will buy and try.

Back