PAMCO Electronic advance

gggGary,

Here is the curve for the CB450 which shows a starting advance of 5 degrees and a total of 35 degrees of advance for a max advance of 40 degrees.

cb450advance.jpg

The XS650 is similar except for the starting and ending degrees vs RPM.

Tim and Donny,

Just as the PAMCO was designed to replace the points, the new advance is designed to simply replace the advancer. There is no improvement per se in performance, but my experience so far with the XS650 and the CB450 is a much smoother advance as observed with the timing light and "seat of the pants" testing.

Exactly what I am looking for the simpler the better for me, did not really want to have to buy a mechanical advance and then have to mess with it. I greatly appreciate this electronic advance thanks again Pete.:thumbsup:

So what do you mean by a first quarter release on this? I am actually getting ready to buy a pamco for my 1981 but I would obviously prefer to wait for the fully electronic version so I don't have to buy all the mechanical stuff to go along with it.
I Am hoping to have one in next month ?

This unit will work with the current Pamco ignition.

The current ignition replaces the mechanical points with a magnet/hall sensor arrangement for reliable no-maintenance operation. It still uses the mechanical advance setup on the other end of the cam.

This new little electronic box will replace that with a programmed advance curve.

You're in Wisconsin - you won't be riding anytime soon ;) I'd hang tight and wait. Either buy the Pamco ignition now and wait on the advance or just wait for an all-in-one kit (might save a couple bucks?).

I have the setup from Mikes xs in a box for my 83 uninstalled. Will the new version still need the TCI unit?

You'll still need the rod to mount the Pamco hall sensor setup unless you modify it to be more like the boyer which uses a threaded rod in place of the stock advance rod.

Well I'd guess Pete will be including some sort of instructions on how to disable the mechanical advance, locking the sensor wheel to the camshaft in place.

The Boyer does this simply with a stepped bronze bushing that goes in the advance end of the cam, a threaded rod which the magnet wheel mounts to with red locktite (no pin to keep it in place just loctite) and a spring washer and nut on the end with the bushing. Just cinch it down tight and it stays put spinning with the cam.

So, presumably you could put a threaded rod in the advance rods place if you could fix the Pamco magnet wheel to the rod at that end.

Advance rods aren't too hard to come by - I'd hang tight till Pete comes out with the advance kit and see what the scoop is. He might offer up a similar kit to the Boyer for those people without a points setup at all.

Yeah, I'm going to wait. I can't do any riding now anyways. Just a tad bit too cold in central New York

Last edited:
I too am waiting in hopes that it will be available soon so I can complete my cafe

Well, what little road testing we were able to do over the past few weeks went OK. Right now I am working on some start up issues, especially low battery starts and kick starts. I think it will not be released any sooner than mid to end of April.

as soon as you've finished the electronic advance Pete could you make us some gears ?....and a fork brace and ......:D

Just kiddin. We are extremely grateful that you are giving up so much time and energy for our benefit and its ready when its ready :thumbsup:

Back