PAMCO Electronic advance

This would of saved me 3 months of waiting for backordered advanced rod and other components in peak riding season from xs 650 direct when my reg/rec and rotor failed. Keep up the R&D for these bikes, they are well worth it.

what they say...thanks for all your efforts and I know what will be a great product!!

Put me on this list! I need a new advance unit since mine rattled loose and destroyed itself (I should have loctite'd it... d'oh).

Thanks Pete!!!!

First production unit!

Well, I ordered up a qty of new PC boards of the latest design for initial production units. Fortunately, the first board we assembled worked just fine with no changes to the PC artwork.

Here is is:

first.jpg

The board has space for a second driver transistor to accommodate the other applications that I will be addressing such as XS650 277 rephase, Honda CB450 and CB350 and later the CB750 and CB750 DOHC models. I should also be able now to approach the design of just about any vintage bike because I will be able to trash the advancer, which is always a problem in older bikes.

The product uses an MCU to do all of the logic which provides the means to add features or correct problems just by reprogramming the MCU chip. The MCU chip contains a CPU (Central Processing Unit) as well as a clock, RAM and Flash memory and a few other features. It's basically a complete computer on a chip.

The advance curve is programmed into the Flash memory of the chip and will remain stable within .5% over a broad operating temperature range.

Still more tests to do and a little tweaking of the program, but we should be ready to ship by the 15th of next month. Just in time for riding season!

That's good to hear pamcopete! That's some damn nice work you've done there.
I'll be ordering mine as soon as you have them up for sale.

Great news Pete! I'm so ready to leave the 1970's and the mechanical advance behind. I sure did love my bell bottom pants and the Beegees though:D

Don't wear the bell bottoms any more, but still love my Beegees CD's. :shrug:

Is this something that will work with existing Pamco ignition as upgrade or a whole new system?
The reason I'm asking cuz I'm about to order a Pamco ignition from XS650Direct as soon as they get the Pamco Ultimate High Output in stock( I was promised a week or so ).
Will this be an upgrade to the Ultimate High Output or I'm better off waiting?

Pete78,

Both. Initially it is an add on upgrade to existing PAMCO's. Eventually it will be a new PAMCO with a simpler sensor as the transistor is duplicated in the advancer, but the add on version will still be offered.

This does not change the performance of the Ultimate High Output. It is just a replacement for the mechanical advancer.

The current version will still be the most cost effective as you do not have to buy any advancer if yours is working OK. The new version will cost more than the current version but not as much as buying the current version with a new mechanical advancer.

The purpose of the electronic advancer is to replace the OEM advancer if it has seen better days, the springs are bad or you just would prefer an electronic advancer, which many people do. For the '80 to '83 conversions, it is a better alternative than the mechanical advancer, and being as you have to buy an advancer anyway, might as well buy an electronic advancer.

Last edited:
This does not change the performance of the Ultimate High Output. It is just a replacement for the mechanical advancer.

I take it the mechanical advance plate has to be left in. Can the weights be removed altogether.

Will this also apply to the future combined Ignition and advance system.

Pete78,

Both. Initially it is an add on upgrade to existing PAMCO's. Eventually it will be a new PAMCO with a simpler sensor as the transistor is duplicated in the advancer, but the add on version will still be offered.

The current version will still be the most cost effective as you do not have to buy any advancer if yours is working OK. The new version will cost more than the current version but not as much as buying the current version with a new mechanical advancer.

The purpose of the electronic advancer is to replace the OEM advancer if it has seen better days, the springs are bad or you just would prefer an electronic advancer, which many people do. For the '80 to '83 conversions, it is a better alternative than the mechanical advancer, and being as you have to buy an advancer anyway, might as well buy an electronic advancer.
So what do you suggest, would it be wiser to wait? I'm not in a rush the only thing I'm more worried about it's availability to Canada(Xs650Direct) I'm having hard time finding parts already nothing's in stock.
Thanks for your response BTW.

Last edited:
Back