Pamco high output - make sure ignition is not on when engine is not running

strang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
"make sure ignition is not on when engine is not running"
About to do a Pamco install and I don't understand this warning sorry.
If I start the engine and then turn it off with the key all's good right?
If the engine stalls and the key is still on and the neutral light is on - is this an issue?
Aren't I turning the ignition on before I kickstart it - by turning the key and the neutral light coming on, doesn't that mean the ignition is on?
confused about what to watch out for here and don't want to make a doodle of myself and break the thing on the first day :doh:

Hahahah yeah man just don't leave it on overnight or anything. I made that mistake once and ended up being OK, but the battery I had at the time was on its last leg so maybe that died before it could hurt the PAMCO.

Another thing to remember is to never stare at the PAMCO for too long. It will melt your eyes or turn you to stone, can't remember which.

thanks junkshow and cheers OakB for the heads up on the pamco eye voodoo.

yeah, im paranoid as shit about this too. i know that the time it takes to check voltage or kick it over is allright. but i wouldnt turn it on and go get a beer and make a sandwich or anything. i know the variables are too much and too many but it would be nice to know at least a little bit of the threshold on the pamco and/or the coils. 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes 15 mintues. something like that. mainly just for diagnosing things i guess. what if your having trouble starting the bitch or something ya know. should i turn it off and wait a bit....

OK. This question has been asked before, so here is the answer. 12 minutes. That's the time it takes for the coil to get to a temperature of 125 F, which is about 10F higher than it would get to with the engine running. That is also starting off at room temperature, so probably no more than 10 minutes if the coil is already warmed up from the engine running. This is not the time to destruction. Just the time to a particular temperature above normal operating temperature. The transistor in the PAMCO never got above 90F and it is rated for 347F, so no worries there. It's the coil that would eventually fry, and if it shorts out as well, then it may take the PAMCO with it.

Not leaving the ignition on is also an issue with points if you are unlucky enough to have a set of points closed when you turn on the power. Same is true with the PAMCO. The coil is only on for 120/360 = 33% of the time, so, "do you feel lucky! Huh punk?" (for those of you too young to know, that is a line from a Dirty Harry movie):D

If you are dong some other work on the electrical system that requires power to be on, then just turn off the kill switch and you can leave the ignition switch on till the battery dies.

Note: The 12 minutes was from an actual test using a 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil. Your results may differ with a different coil. The test was done by a professional ignition guru on a closed course. Do not try at home. :wtf:

Back