pamco ignition install

bTw1226

bTw1226
Reaction score
hey, just got my pamco in and it didnt come with instructions. I need them for the advanced system as my bike does not have the points system. any ideas on where i can get these instructions?

gotcha. So than just continue with that wire that kills the coil down to the battery. Than all settles the problem of killing the battery power to the pamco as well. Guess in my mind it would seem that the power is running back wards into the system.... If not I've gotta turn my thinking around.

nic81xs
Re: pamco ignition install

These videos help too.

this vid is good. EXCEPT when he instructs you to lube the shaft . that proves he has no clue how it all works .

don't lube the shaft . (in the pamco system) it should almost be super glued inthere or something.

this vid is good. EXCEPT when he instructs you to lube the shaft . that proves he has no clue how it all works .

don't lube the shaft . (in the pamco system) it should almost be super glued inthere or something.

Unless you have one of the new Pamco's with electronic advance you absolutely do need to lube the advance shaft. On the non-electronic advance Pamco's the turning of this shaft caused by the centrifugal force on the advance weights on the ATU changes the spark timing from 10*BTDC at idle to 38*BTDC at approx. 3000 RPMs. If this shaft does not turn there is no advance of the spark other than what is set at idle. This is the reason that the are 2 different marks (1 at 10* BTDC at idle and 1 at 38* BTDC for full advance) that are referenced in most manuals.

I just installed my PAMCO but I have no idea how to wire it. My bike only has a headlight and tail light with a toggle switch to turn it on/off barely any electric components. Do I need to keep the original wiring harness/rectifier/all the junk that was hooked up to my TCI box? I really have no idea what I'm doing and I would appreciate if anyone could help me. I'm just a kid trying to learn.

I just installed my PAMCO but I have no idea how to wire it. My bike only has a headlight and tail light with a toggle switch to turn it on/off barely any electric components. Do I need to keep the original wiring harness/rectifier/all the junk that was hooked up to my TCI box? I really have no idea what I'm doing and I would appreciate if anyone could help me. I'm just a kid trying to learn.

Did you ever get these questions answered? I too am looking for some guidance

Did you ever get these questions answered? I too am looking for some guidance

it would be helpful to tell us a bit more about your bike and which particular PAMCO you have . Did you just buy the pamco ? if so where from? or was it on the bike when you bought it etc
You could try putting pamco into the search box top right or look through the electrical section of the TECH section top left

it would be helpful to tell us a bit more about your bike and which particular PAMCO you have . Did you just buy the pamco ? if so where from? or was it on the bike when you bought it etc
You could try putting pamco into the search box top right or look through the electrical section of the TECH section top left

Of course some details might help. I always forget to provide those. It’s an ‘83 xs650. TCI ignition that I’m swapping out for the high output Pamco without the e-advancer I purchased from MikesXS. Also doing the PMA swap. All of it so far has been pretty simple. All I have left is wiring it up and setting the timing. It’s the wiring bit that’s hanging me up.

out of date link removed

Last edited:
Whatever your wiring you run a wire from your source of power to a 7.5 amp fuse, from this fuse to a switch, from this switch to the red wire on the Pamco and to the coil. The green wire of Pamco to the other side of coil. Black to ground. Can't be much simpler.
If you use a battery that's your source of power. On a PMA with a capacitor the hot wire from the PMA to the capacitor is your source of power.
Leo

If you are running a "pamco" type ignition and a PMA / capacitor charging system you might want to stay within pushing distance of the garage. It can be made to work, but MANY have proved it's easy to roast electronic components in that set up.

Hall effect ignitions are Pamco's and XSCharge ignitions

A previous Pamco link, (Posted by peanut), has outdated information that has been changed and is not, and has not been recommended for years..........this recommendation came from Pamcopete himself after there had been numerous pamco failures when using the green monster coils

Here is a link that covers installation, procedures, troubleshooting, wiring diagrams and general problems that arise, and Q&A's on situations regarding the Pamco Ignition.......Hall effect ignitions............
http://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-and-pamco-ignition.46859/

There are a few cautions when using a PMA and Pamco, (MikesXS XSCharge ignition is a copy of a Pamco), due to the old Pamco's getting fried on installation when the PMA voltage wasn't tested on a separate circuit when installing a PMA in conjunction with a Hall effect, (Pamco/XSCharge), ignition. Using a Capacitor compounds the problem because the voltage can fluctuate taking out the Hall effect ignition.............It is recommended a battery be used at all times to help smooth-out the voltage output

When it comes to PMA Reg/Rect there is a lot of discussion about series type and shunt type, (not my thing just going by problems raised and discussions),
http://www.xs650.com/threads/using-different-rectifiers-and-dual-bridge-rectifiers.36044/

Mosfet type Regulators seem to be preferred as a replacement, (some discussion on these types as well), but honestly you need to do some investigation/research yourself about this or take the word of someone that can be explicitly trusted............Hugh Handbuilt offer's a Mosfet type, (and recommends), regulator as an alternative replacement for his regular Reg/Rect in his kits.............says a lot about these kits Reg/Rect when a seller does this.

Because there has been no one from MikesXS who has actually posted any information about their XSCharge ignitions, (they they themselves have always refereed to and used Pamcopetes site for their ignition installation and troubleshooting procedures), any information regarding a Pamco and relating it to the XSCharge ignition is probably on the money but there are no guarantees, as there is no warranty with an XSCharge ignition..........Pamcopete had a 2 Year warranty with his

29A4813B-DFA8-4EB7-8055-5947D67FF873.jpeg
7D5E0118-3FFB-442B-86DB-AFB5A649CD90.jpeg
I like to stick to stock. Unless....

Doesn't matter what diagram you use.......... how to wire in a Basic Pamco/Hall effect ignition
, Pamco Text copy 3.jpg
, Pamco Text copy 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back