Pamco Ignition question

richmond

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Last year I built my XS650 and converted it by putting in a PMA, Pamco ignition, dual output coil, iridium plugs, capacitor, eliminted the battery. I have put over 8,000 trouble free miles on those components and they have worked as advertised. Last week I sold the bike and the new owner was riding and after only 50 miles the bike stalled (horrible timing since it has been so reliable for me). New owner claims he has done nothing whatsoever to the bike and I believe him as he is not mechanical at all. I went to help trouble shoot and I have a few questions:

When the Pamco ignition modules fail can they send an occasional signal for spark? I can get a random backfire out the intake, but not even consistently. (bike isn't kicking over at all)

Same question on the coil--can they partially fail. I would have thought all or nothing.

I unplugged the connector from the regulator (to elminate the PMA/regulator from the equation) and plugged in a separate battery to the power the harness to include the Pamco and coil. Still same result.

Does this point to the Pamco ignition?

I'm bummed because I've sold such a reliable bike and it seems to have had a random failure. Also, I know the carbs are getting fuel and they have worked flawlessly since dialing them in.

Attached is a pic the day before the new owner picked up the bike.....

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 270
If you go to the Pamco site (yamahaxs650.com) and go to the installation instructions, there is a testing procedure at the bottom of the page for the coil and the system.

Thanks. Since the bike is gone it's not easy to coordinate testing, but I was just wondering if when they fail is there any chance of a spark (or is it plain dead)?

It may help me strategize......also, if it's likely the Pamco I'll possibly order one and try it since it's the only thing I think it could be at this point.

richmond,

A more likely possibility is that the charging system has a problem and the random firing you see is when the charging system comes back to life briefly.

You have to remember that with a capacitor / no battery setup, there is no power to the ignition until you kick the engine to start it. You are then dependent on the capacitor charging up enough with the kick to provide enough voltage for the ignition.

My standard recommendation for this situation is to wire up the PAMCO temporarily to a fully charged battery that is not connected to the bikes electrical system. This will allow you to start the engine so you can troubleshoot the charging system.

The other possibility is also PMA related and that is the PMA produced a very high Voltage, like 20+ volts and fried the PAMCO, so if that is the case, you can buy the plate only and reuse the rotor. If you go that route, then the first thing you do is to wire the PAMCO to a battery and get the engine going, then immediately check the capacitor voltage at 3,000 RPM and stop the engine if you see the voltage creeping above 15 Volts.

Pete,

I unplugged the connector from the regulator (to elminate the PMA/regulator from the equation) and plugged in a separate battery to power the harness to include the Pamco and coil. Still same result.

If the Pamco is fried, could it still produce an occasional spark? Also, how do I order just the plate/board and not a new rotor?

thanks in advance.

richmond,

Generally, the PAMCO either works or it doesn't. If you are getting an occasional spark, then it is still alive. Try as I suggested and wire up the PAMCO itself and the coil DIRECTLY to a separate battery, not as you have described still using the bikes wiring harness. A separate battery not connected to the bikes electrical system.

You can buy the plate only on the web site www.yamahaxs650.com using the PayPal "Buy it Now" button on the right side column. It has a pull down to select either a complete system or just the plate.

I was able to get back to this bike and it was sparking (so the ignition plate seems to be in good order as well as the coils), but the problem ended up being the mechanical advance plate was 'torn' where the locating pin keeps it in position. So, I still have the electronic advance that I will try to see if I can get it to work. I see there appears to be a new aluminum adapter that looks much more stout than the original copper ones. Are they interchangable?

richmond,

Generally, the PAMCO either works or it doesn't. If you are getting an occasional spark, then it is still alive. Try as I suggested and wire up the PAMCO itself and the coil DIRECTLY to a separate battery, not as you have described still using the bikes wiring harness. A separate battery not connected to the bikes electrical system.

You can buy the plate only on the web site www.yamahaxs650.com using the PayPal "Buy it Now" button on the right side column. It has a pull down to select either a complete system or just the plate.

richard,

Yes, the new aluminum adapter is a replacement for the original copper cap. The new aluminum adapter does not use the special washers that came with the copper cap. PM your address and I will send you one.

Back