Pamco Ignition Timing

vfbass

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have installed the Pamco ignition system in my 74 TX650A.
There are two timing marks regardless of RPM and Setting advance. The timing mark that is further advanced seems to be More stable and clearer to see with the timing light. I am confused as to why there are two marks and which one I need to set my timing to. I searched the archive threads on here and found one person who had the same issue. But there were no replies. If some one could explain this to me or link me up to where the answer is already posted I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

Try cliping on your inductive lead the opposite way. Some timing lights can react badly.
Or just clip onto the other lead, see if that fixes it. :cheers:

Tried other way and other lead same thing. I am going to try again tomorrow after work I'll make sure I try all possible orientations.
From the only post I found with same issue:

Posted: April 13, 2009, 8:17 pm Post subject: Timing
With the timing light I have I am getting a dual image while timing the bike. The image is split about 10 degrees apart. My question is which image do I time it to? The advanced one, or the retarded one? Currently I have it time on the retarted image and it seems to be running decent, but I just want to make sure I have done this right.

Also, I should point out I get the same double image using ether spark plugs.

Thanks!

vfbass,

1. Could be a timing light issue. Try a different timing light.
2. One of the plug wires is not making contact in the coil tower or the plug cap. Measure the resistance from one cap to the other to ensure you have continuity through the coil.
3. Low battery voltage to the timing light. Charge battery
4. Loose springs on the advance mechanism. Adjust.
5. No resistor caps or resistor plugs.
6. Loose timing chain. Adjust chain tension.
7. Loose alternator rotor. Tighten the rotor nut.
8. Loose spanner nut holding the advance plate to the cam. Tighten.
9. Weak magnet in the PAMCO rotor. Aim the timing light at the rotor and see if it is standing still or is it jumping back and forth. If it's jumping around, PM your address for a new one.

Thanks, ended up being a bad plug. no problems now it works great.
Excellent product. I do appreciate the quick response. I will post a pic in the appropriate thread.

Back