Pamco Ignition

Tacforce650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to sound stupid but does the Pamco ignition replace everything? I have a 1980 xs and thinking of switching over to the Pamco system. Do I need to run a battery, do I need my igniter box? It seems like a much easier way to go instead of trying to find used parts for the ignition. I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. Plus my wiring has been hacked to hell by the previous guy and I want to clean that up.

You'll need a battery if you aren't using a PMA charging system. No igniter box, the Pamco setup has everything you need if you bought the complete kit. Wiring it in is very straight forward if you have basic wiring skill. I'm doing mine very soon. I got it from FedEx yesterday. You might need the advancer rod if your bike didn't originally have points. There are may threads here about the same subject. Search is you friend.

Yes 80-83s need the ATU(found under the RT "points cover" in '79 and earlier XS) and the advance rod w/ bushings and pins. It's a good time to update to a more powerfull coil.Or get the new electronic advancer Pete just released and not the ATU and etc. I'm running the Ulimate coil with my Pamco Iggy and not looking back. The stock TCI was pitched over Rt shoulder.

Good to know guys. I just paid 100$ for a used pickup coil and was pissed after I had more issues with the electrical system. So I went ahead and ripped the harness off of it and found a nightmare. I'm over it. Just trying to make sure I get my eggs in a row before I pull the trigger. Mikes is out of the kit I need right now but I think I'll wait and not put this birds nest back together

Back