Pamco ignition?

Yes, it will replace your points on the left side of the motor. You will most likely need a different, dual-output coil as well. PAMCO now has an electronic advance assembly for the right side of the motor which will eliminate the weights and springs that rotate. This makes it a truly modern system if you upgrade to both.

Yes the 81s have factory electronic ignition. If you want to update the 81 look into doing a PMA conversion. This will convert you current charging system (Rotor, brushes and stator) to a permanent magnetic alternator. I am not an expert on these (I don't run one) but they get rid of the wear parts and help modernize the XS charging system. They are pricey, so It depends on how nice the bike is. This is a separate function from the ignition system (PAMCO or points etc).

I have just the Pamco ignition on my 71 and it has worked flawlessly for years. I live in a hot climate, so I was a little worried about the lost spark generating more heat. I have not been able to measure any temperature change. I did notice the bike runs a lot smoother through the whole RPM range, and especially at speed. So far it's be a set it and forget it ignition. I have no experience with the PMA, but if Pete's selling it I'm sure it must be good.

One thing on the 80 up bikes. When converting to a PMA you need to convert to an aftermarket ignition.
With the stock TCI it uses a magnet in the rotor to trigger the ignition. When swapping in a PMA you do away with the magnet, making the TCI inoperable.
Leo

I recommend you start one thread for your build. Explain what your situation is regarding the bike and why you are considering doing, and the reasons why.

Going over your previous threads, seems the bike, has no wiring harness, if that includes no electrical components, like the TCI, then the harness you intend to build will be reliant on what ignition and charging system you run. Testing the Rotor and Stator means you can on sell them if they test good and the cost can go towards the PMA

I was just curious as to what a Pamco ignition was. Since my bike is already electronic ignition I dont think Im even going to fool with it. Thanks. I might still start a build thread though :D

Pamco + PMA swap and your in business, no more electrical woes, especially if you run all new wiring. TCI use ALOT of volts to run . That's why these bikes run so badly with anything other than a perfect battery. Pamco will run down to 6volts, add a PMA with 200 watts of power and your charging system,s the berrys!

Back