pamco ignition............

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys do any of the ignition work with the 2 coils as i have 2 new standard green coils from mikes i think they punch out 4ohms but they replace the weak 30 year old coils ... is there a pamco set up for standard motors using my standard coils regardds oldbiker

Last edited:
Just link the coils together, the wires to the points, and hook them to the Pamco. That should give you a 2 ohm primary resistance. The Pamco uses a 2 to 3 ohm primary.
Might want to ask Pamcopete to be sure. P/M him.
On his ignition site, www.yamahaxs650.com/ he reccomends a dual output coil like the later model bikes use. Maybe a ballast resistor in series will work. Like the old points cars used. Most are 1.6 to 1.9 ohms. Added to the 2 ohms from the coils it will be 3.6 to 3.9 ohms.
Ask him first, I'd hate to have you hurt the Pamco or spend money on new coils. The resistor cost a few bucks. A new coil can cost $60+.

oldbiker,

That application is right on the borderline with a resultant resistance of 2 Ohms.

Caution: If you have any problem getting the engine to start, turn off the ignition while you figure out what's wrong because if you leave the ignition on with the engine not running, you will fry the coils and the PAMCO.

Last edited:
Then using a ballast resistor would be a good idea. The higher resistance will cut the current back. Right?

XSleo,

The ballast resistor would make it safer for the PAMCO, but at the expense of coil performance, especially for starting.

If he actually measures the coil, resistance, and comes up with something more than the nominal 4 Ohms each, then that would be Ok. The coils resistance also increases with temperature, and it is summer now in Australia.:thumbsup:

Back