Pamco ingition

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have a '75 xs650 that I bought not too long ago, and I'm looking to do some upgrades. I keep hearing about Pamco ignition, and I was wondering if this is a good mod to start with, and what is so great about it that everyone likes it so much. Also, is the posted picture what I would be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 179
Great mod. It's easy to install, the guy that makes them is right here on this forum, and best of all eliminates those pesky points.I've got the same system you're looking at on my 77.

Other than eliminating the points, what good does the pamco do?

For most that's enough....
If you know points and get all the components up to snuff they work OK if you keep up with maintenance. If you go pamco PUT IN a fuse! 7.5 amp IIRC. IMHO Do not run a PAMCO with a capacitor only charging system.

Get the charging system sorted properly before you go chasing running issues very far. If you plan on riding much revising the charging system to a late model combined regulator rectifier type is smart.

It is a great upgrade and that's a good package you pointed out, i have it on one of my bikes, but I tend to lean to "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". Sure if you start having trouble with your ignition system, then by all means go Pamco. It's a lot easier to work with than points. I would ride you bike for a bit, get to know it. You'll soon figure out what it needs and doesn't.

As everyone has stated here IMO the Pamco ignition is worth the money based on just a couple of things 1)it is an electronic ignition and does away with the points that can sometimes be finiky. 2)pamcopete is a member on the forum here and goes above and beyond to make sure that he has a quality product and his customer service is OUTSTANDING!!!

The only other real piece of advice I would offer is to get a kit without the spark plugs as they are over priced from mikes and the iridium plugs, in my limited experience, do not run any better than an Autolite AP63 which are very inexpensive.

I like my points just fine, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to fool with them. I won't run an aftermarket electronic ignition unless I carry a spare for when it pukes in Deadwood SD on Sunday afternoon. A very expensive insurance. Points I can deal with anytime, anywhere, and spares to go along are dirt cheap.

Idk.... pamco was the best thing ive done to my xs's... Set it and forget it! Def allows for more time to mess up other things on the xs... hahah

Idk.... pamco was the best thing ive done to my xs's... Set it and forget it! Def allows for more time to mess up other things on the xs... hahah

I've never known anything else. I have a '78 and it had a basket case engine. I ended up buying an '81 engine and slapped it in the '78 frame. While I was at it, and while the bike was down, I did a bunch of research on XS ignition and charging systems and decided that ultimately I wanted something I could ride hard and put away wet. Not some show machine that I had to maintain the polish and the tuning/timing of mechanics all the time so it runs perfectly.

So I bought a HHB PMA and a Pete Pamco and after installing them on the '81 engine (which I was TOLD ran) it started up and ran strong after 2 kicks from sitting in a garage for over 5 years (the engine that I bough).

So that alone was enough to tell me that this is a quality system. I actually HAVEN'T set the timing on the engine, I just installed the two systems and it started right up.

I need to probably run to another thread to ask this - but how DO you set the timing with a HHB PMA and a Pamco?

But that question aside - I think it's worth the money IF you're going to keep your bike for any real length of time.

Yes, the "set it and forget it" thing is one of the biggest benefits in my opinion. No more changing condensers, points, and setting points and timing. You may need to tweak the timing a couple times after the install to get it exactly where you want it, but after that there's no more fooling with it.

Next best thing about it, getting rid of that mechanical advance. The e advance really smoothed the bike out when accelerating.

Posted via Mobile

Back