Pamco Install

Oscar

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have 1979 XS650 and I wanted to go the batteryless kick only route.

So I bought Hugh's PMA kit and installed it as well as the Sparx capacitor and what do you know it all works : )

So what I also purchased was a Pamco ignition. I did not buy the kit just the unit itself. In all my wisdom I thought I didn't need the other parts (and it was cheaper).

So now I have points ignition and a Pamco unit and not knowing what else I need to buy for the install. Could someone help me out and direct me to links to the actual remaining parts I need (or even better tell me that I don't need anything else).

Below is a photo of my bike and what I have purchased. What you see in the picture with the plastic bag is literally everything I have from my Pamco purchase so if something's not in the picture that should be then I don't have it. I am confused if I need new spark plugs, new coils, or whatever. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 420
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 392
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 374
Oscar,

You will need a suitable dual output coil, spark plug wires and spark plug caps. These are available from www.mikesxs.com as their part #17-6822 coil which comes with the wires or part #17-6903 coil and part #23-2902 wires and part #23-3113 5K caps (2).

Alternatively, you could source these parts locally as virtually any dual output coil from any Japanese motorcycle of the '70's with a primary resistance of 2.5 to 5 Ohms will work.

5twins may join us with his list of suitable coils as well. You can use the stock spark plugs.

Being a 79 the Pamco just replaces the points. Easy install. The install instructions are on the website. www.yamahaxs650.com It also shows how to mount the new coil also.
Leo

Does anyone know the Labor cost for going batteryless? I have a 1983 xs650 with simplified wiring. I have all parts ready to go for the job.
Hugh's PMA, Pamco ignition, Sparx Capacitor and all the btid bits necessary for the job. Seems pretty simple to me but I'd like to leave it to a pro. I contacted a shop who says it will be $400+ for the job which seems outrageous.
If this is a correct estimate then i would consider selling the batteryless package if anyone is interested. :banghead:

Does anyone know the Labor cost for going batteryless? I have a 1983 xs650 with simplified wiring. I have all parts ready to go for the job.
Hugh's PMA, Pamco ignition, Sparx Capacitor and all the btid bits necessary for the job. Seems pretty simple to me but I'd like to leave it to a pro. I contacted a shop who says it will be $400+ for the job which seems outrageous.
If this is a correct estimate then i would consider selling the batteryless package if anyone is interested. :banghead:

$400 sounds high to me but maybe they have never done one and are giving you a high estimate.

Look here....http://www.hughshandbuilt.com/news/

HHB gives all kind of step by step instructions and isn't that part of owning one of these??? Doing it yourself???

$400 sounds high to me but maybe they have never done one and are giving you a high estimate.

HHB gives all kind of step by step instructions and isn't that part of owning one of these??? Doing it yourself???

You are absolutely right. Maybe it's time for me to grow a set of balls and get my hands dirty. It's just that the wiring even though it simplified is a bit daunting to me since it's not my strong point. The bike runs great with just the battery so I'm asking myself why am I even doing the spending all this money. It was 500 bucks in parts and will be another 400 in labor so $900 total for something that already works. Hmmmmm

#tcphotonyc - Do it yourself bro. I started this thread asking a few questions because I had never done this sort of thing before. In fact this is my first buke and I got no background experience.

Having gone batteryless I can tell you, you just need to follow the instructions from Hughs Hand Built and it will turn out alright. You will understand your bike better and get the satisfaction of working your own bike. It's a great feeling! Besides if you do f* it up then you can always take it to a mechanic as a last resort. Plus there's tons of people on this site that will give you a hand if you post a couple pics as you go. Hell I'm not even a mechanic but I know could walk you through the switch out, it's that easy.

#tcphotonyc - Do it yourself bro. I started this thread asking a few questions because I had never done this sort of thing before. In fact this is my first buke and I got no background experience.

Having gone batteryless I can tell you, you just need to follow the instructions from Hughs Hand Built and it will turn out alright. You will understand your bike better and get the satisfaction of working your own bike. It's a great feeling! Besides if you do f* it up then you can always take it to a mechanic as a last resort. Plus there's tons of people on this site that will give you a hand if you post a couple pics as you go. Hell I'm not even a mechanic but I know could walk you through the switch out, it's that easy.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Oscar! That was originally the idea I set out to do was to gain knowledge of my bike and boost my skills in that region. I will definitely take you up on your offer with some help much appreciated!

Back