Pamco installed, now RPM's shoot to the sky.

KlubFoot

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright... I got a Pamco installed on the XS last night.

The bike fired right up and sounds great at idle. Set the timing with a light and thought I was good to go. However, as soon as you crack the throttle, the RPM's shoot way up and hold steady. I'd say around 3k. They do not drop down slowly as if it were a lean mix, but they do drop right back down to a normal idle if you pull the choke all the way out for a sec and then push it back in.
*New springs and weights
*Green monster coil
*3 brass bushings, old advance rod and plate

On a separate note, this was going on before the Pamco install and is still happening.

*The right side runs in a very lopey fashion. It seems as if it has a bubble to it, but almost like it skipping a tick.
*The left side runs very consistent.
*Both sides seem to run great when the throttle is cracked. The left side plug is a bit sooty, the right side seems to be a perfect brown.
*Idle jet on the right side?
The carbs are jetted BS34 CV Mikunis with adjustable needles. They ran perfect after the initial rebuild.

I have not, but I have watched the return arm sit right back in to position while using the throttle.

Possible air leak or sticky slide on that side. Spraying wd40 when running can sometimes tell you if there is a small air leak. Engine rpm should rise when you spray around the boot and engine side of carburetor.

I've read alot about those aftermarket advance springs not being right. Are you sure your advance is working correctly, not hanging up or sticky?

Back