PAMCO ISSUES

Slide

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. For the last three weeks I have had problems with my Pamco ignition and have not been able to get a hold of PamcoPete. He could be on vacation or not checking his email. Here are the issues:

The bike was running excellent when I noticed a burned out signal light. In changing it and checking other lights etc, I must have left the key on too long. A couple of days later I tried to start the bike without any luck. I grounded both plugs and found I had no spark. The battery was fully charged at 13. 5 volts with the same voltage going to the red wire at the Pamco/coil. I assumed the Pamco was fried and ordered a replacement Pamco from 650 Direct ( Mike's Canadian dealer). Installed the new Pamco and nothing. It was then I discoved my coil was fried as there was melted plastic. I ordered a new coil (#17-68100 being the 17-6903 was out of stock). Mounted the new coil and hooked everything up to the replacement Pamco. Nothing. No spark at either cylinder. Checked out the new coil and it is fully up to spec. Again I checked for spark by removing the rotor pin on the shaft for the Pamco, installed the rotor and spun it manually. There was no spark doing this test, except on the odd time there would be a weak spark when the key was shut off or on if the rotor was pre-spun a few times. I also tried for spark using a remote battery. I disconnected the red/white wire from the bike thereby eliminating the key, battery and regulator (PMA). I hooked up a fully charged battery from my flattracker's remote starter directly to the coil and Pamco and spun the Pamco's rotor without any spark whatsoever. At this point in time I am at a loss. By chance could the replacement Pamco have been fried by having hooked it up to the burned out coil? I do not want to order another Pamco ($$$) if it is another problem even though I can't see it being anything else with the isolated battery test. Any ideas???? Thanks.
.....Mel.....

it sure does sound like your 2nd pamco is fried.

mine was only sparking when i connected / disconnected mine from a battery when it was fried.

Slide,

Been a little busy lately. When you left the key on, you fried the coil first. The shorted coil then fried the first PAMCO. You didn't replace the coil at first, so when you installed the second PAMCO, that one fried as well. A 7 1/2 Amp fuse would have saved you some grief here as it would have blown when the first coil fried and saved the second.

When you get the third PAMCO, install a 7 1/2 Amp fuse in the circuit.

I could sell you a plate only for less than the cost of a complete system but the shipping to Canada is $17.95 and you will have to wait about two weeks.

Pete,

does this diagram protect the pamco in this case? or will the pamco need an inline fuse between the coil and pamco

simplifiedwiringfuseblo.jpg

Ketis,

That's fine. The PAMCO itself will never draw a high current. It's the coil that could fry if you leave the ignition on and takes the PAMCO with it.

I would also suggest that you move that 20 Amp fuse to a position in the output wire from the reg / rect and the capacitor and key. The way it is now, if the fuse blows or just comes loose, the regulator will not have the capacitor to smooth out the voltage and it will go nuts, possibly causing a high and destructive Voltage.

simplifiedwiringfuseblo.jpg

New to the forum so please cut me some slack. I bought a PAMCO unit and PMA from Mikes SX. I have done everything in the trouble shooting guide and then some and still does not work. I'm not getting the trigger from the green wire to pulse the coil. It is grounded and will not open. I had taken out the pin as the trouble shooting says and spun the trigger rotor and it just stays ground as previously stated. The coil is good along with everything else on the secondary side of the coil down to the spark plugs. It all boils down to something on the circuit board. I know I did nothing wrong in the installation of this unit, I work with similar units all the time in my job at work and know that prox switches have to have a load on the output or you may well fry the unit up before you get to use it.

Thanks,
Dale.

Sorry it took so long put I had found something wrong and wanted to try it again. Just got back in from the garage.

So, from what I'm reading, the PAMCO doesn't limit coil dwell current? If dwell current was properly limited, the coil wouldn't overheat. Ford's Duraspark system had very good current limiting, an GM's HEI system was ok, too. Granted, they are automotive apps, but I'm sure the circuitry for that could be incorporated. Thoughts?

gggGary,

Thanks for the assist, but the E-Advancer does not have dwell time control. It does have an automatic kill switch feature that prevents the coil from drawing current untill you start or attempt to start the engine.

The target price for the E-Advancer complete with the new simplified sensor plate was < $200. We came in at $189.95.

Dynamic dwell and coil current limiting features can add to the cost, complexity and power requirements and we determined that the engine spends most of it's time above 3,000 RPM so the value of those features would not be worth the extra cost as the dwell would be at maximum with full current most of the time. For those that want that feature, there are systems out there that have it, but generally they cost more than $200.

In addition, it should be noted that the automotive systems mentioned by FB71 with dwell control are necessary in those applications because the coils are sub 1 Ohm and without dwell control at lower RPM's they would not last very long. The PAMCO was designed to be used in the more commonly available coils for motorcycles in the 2.5 to 4.5 Ohm range further reducing the need for dwell control.

Last edited:
Does the kill switch feature kick in after say a an engine stall or failed starting attempt also?

I don't mean any disrespect Pete , but I think you should have some warning labels on your ignition systems . I never burned out a Pamco but I could have if I didn't find out about using the kill switch when working on the wires with the key on . Now I use the kill switch every time I shut off my bike.

Hello, Pete have you gotten anytime to look into my troubles with the PAMCO unit. Thanks.

This stuff terrifies an old guy. I really wanted the pamco for all the advantages but the thought of being on the side of the road in some remote place prompted me go with the old points. Good luck with your troubles, this stuff makes you puke.

Back