Pamco - No Spark

Slaserj

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently completed my Pamco install, and am trying to run it with the simplest as possible setup. Pamco, battery, ignition coil + plugs.

12 volts at the coil, but no spark. When I disconnect power, I get a spark (this is what the Pamco does with a transistor, right?). I'm kicking over the engine, so the disc is rotating, just no spark.

Red -> 12 volts, and one side of coil.
Green -> Other side of coil
Black -> Ground. Engine is grounded too, all to battery neg.

Any ideas?

You can disconnect the advance rod and spin it by hand. Shoot a picture inside the LH cam cover? Ground also needs to be connected to the engine block, both spark plugs need to be connected and grounded

simplified-wiring-cap-pma-pamco-jpg.88175

I recently completed my Pamco install, and am trying to run it with the simplest as possible setup. Pamco, battery, ignition coil + plugs.

12 volts at the coil, but no spark. When I disconnect power, I get a spark (this is what the Pamco does with a transistor, right?). I'm kicking over the engine, so the disc is rotating, just no spark.

Red -> 12 volts, and one side of coil.
Green -> Other side of coil
Black -> Ground. Engine is grounded too, all to battery neg.

Any ideas?
Did you recently buy the ignition from MikesXS? What part number?

Sorry for the late reply Pete, getting up on finals week here at Uni. I solved it! Did all of your testing (great documentation btw, it helped) and still no dice. Next, I swapped to a different coil (the one that came with the kit from Mikes), and boom. Fired right up. I misread the documentation on the “ultimate high output” coil? I ordered this one: https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-ultimate-high-output-coil.html
Which was for my original TCI system, that I replaced. Derp on my part. Do you know what primary resistance ranges your system is capable of? Just out of curiosity. Also, anyone want a deeply discounted TCi coil?

The stock TCI coil is within Pamco's specs. 2.5 ohms to 4.5 ohms. I run one on the 83.
Leo

Im.having issues getting spark aswell. My coil is testing at 2 ohms at the primary terminals and 13k at the plug terminals. Is it safe to say my coil commited die?

So according to that info it would be safe to say it's no good. Considering that the all the tests came back lower than what is acceptable. Looking more for a second opinion

Back