Pamco products

You may find them on Ebay,
www.yamahaxs650.com is Pete's web site. You can order the ignition there, but just ignitions, no extra parts like coils, advancers and such.
Leo

Yes, mechanical advancers you need to get somewhere else.
Look on the site, you will find just what he sells.
Leo

Vmx51,

Here I am! What can I do for you? There is a lot of information on the web site, www.yamahaxs650.com including installation instructions for each system as well as a separate set of instructions for the mechanical advancer and advance rod. There is also a guide to installing the various coils and a instructions on installing the plug caps.

So many PAMCO's have been sold that it has become a virtual standard system for the XS650 and as a result there are a lot of very knowledgeable people right here that can provide first person help with your installation as well as helping you decide which system is best for your application.

So, please take the time to review that information as well as the hundreds of PAMCO posts on this site and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Pete

Thanks ! I want to run the bike with a capacitor instead of a battery , so I need a mechanical advacer , correct ? Do I just use the stock Yamaha one ?

From what I understand yes. Just avoid the kits with the electronic advance.

Thats the reason I'm looking at ditching the Bowyer for a Pamco, Go back to the mechanical advance and lose the battery.

I have a 81 xs650-H. I want to retain the battery and electric start. Waiting on MikesXS to reply with info in the PMA/ignition as I can't determine which system I need. Also, if I install the PMA & Pamco Ign., do I need to retain the IGNITOR?? Thanks for any advise.

To run without a battery you need to convert to a PMA. When you swap to a PMA you remove most of the stock electronic ignition parts. The coil can work with a Pamco. With all that work, upgrading the coil is a good idea.
I know the basic Pamco using the stock advancer, or one from Mike's, will run fine with a PMA and cap.
I don't see why the E-advancer won't work, PMA and cap.
Pete, will the E-advancer work with a PMA and cap?
Leo

XSLeo,

Yes it will. There are some limitations, however.

1. The E-Advancer initially waits for a complete cycle of both magnets in a pair to prevent an out of time spark before firing on the next pair of magnets. This means that the engine could waste the first revolution and not start until the second revolution.
2. The E-Advancer has to "wake up" and that means that the capacitor has to get to at least 7.5 Volts with the kick.
3. The basic PAMCO will fire at the end of the first complete cycle of two magnets in a pair because it cannot fire out of sequence as it is strictly a mechanical device.
4. The basic PAMCO electronics wakes up with as little as three Volts.
5. The basic PAMCO will produce a spark with as little as 6 Volts on the capacitor.

One good feature of the E-Advancer is that it provides a retarded spark below 200 RPM, so that actually makes it easier to kick start with the limitations noted. I think that the retard feature compensates for the limitations to the extent that you will not notice the difference between the two systems. What we need here is someone with a PMA / E-Advancer / capacitor setup to tell us what his experience is.

Last edited:
glennpm,

Well, that project ended up on the back burner as I was focusing on three new products, the XS400, CB360 and the CB350 redo. I'm not even sure there is that much interest in a 277 E-Advancer as there is not that much activity for the existing PAMCO 277 setup, perhaps no more than 200 277 PAMCO's per year.

Hi Pete,

I understand you need to focus your priorities but not only would new kits for the 277's be potential E-Advance customers, but all the ones like myself that already have your 277 kit.

Just hoping to influence your decision!

Thanks,
Glenn

Thats certainly some good information on running with a PMA and a capacitor. Thanks Pete, I wouldn't have thought the E-advancer would have needed a battery based off my experience with the Bowyer requiring a strong charged battery. Guess I shouldn't have assumed.

Back