Pamco timing issue

NorazDad

NorazDad
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have read every thread on this topic. I know advance from retard. I have installed an HHB PMA, Pamco with EAdv, shaft, bushings and the replacement rotor for the right side of the cam. I believe the pin was inserted in the right place at the top of the shaft rotation. I have adjusted the Pamco plate in the correct position and attempted to time with a timing light. It is not jumping around. I have a great visual on the mark I made during the HHB PMA install. I know it is not dead accurate by degree, but when I shine the light on the rotor with and engine that is at 1200rpm and no smoke from the pipes and no coughing and kicking, the mark is way past the advance mark.
I have tried to adjust the idle as I tried to move the plate to move the mark and all I get is sputtering, choking and smoke out of the carbs upon engine shut down.
There seems no way to move that timing mark toward the retard and into the fire zone.
I don't think it is the cam chain. The light is not jumping around.
Last time I tried to time this, there was so much smoke coming from the pipes that I changed the valve stem seals. That's another story, but thanks Farrell. After that job I took two rides of about 25 mi each. Wasn't running quite right so I think it's all about balancing carbs and timing. But timing seems to be the biggest issue. If everything is too advanced, what do I need to do to bring it back in?
I am so close and I love that I can start my kick only bike with one lackluster kick.
But the timing light tells a very frustrating story.
I am pleading for some assistance here. Remove the Pamco and reinstall> I've been waiting to locktite nuts.
Is there some method of perceiving correct timing by getting in tune with the bike?
Thanks All.

Something does not add up here. You say the engine is easy to kick start. If the timing is truly over advanced, you would get kick back from the engine when trying to start, but you say you don't get that. I'd say your timing is not advanced.

Perhaps your timing light is not telling the correct story. Do you have one of those fancy adjustable timing lights? You may have it set wrong, so its giving a false timing indication.

Yes, I installed the Pamco first. I do have one of those fancy lights, but I set it at 0 to check the timing. I am going to see a friend today to try to figure this out.

I retread all of the Pamco install posts. I had my doubts about the pins, but the pins were already in the shaft, unless the pin on the rotor side was in th wrong place.
Can someone post a picture of what the pin placements are on the shaft?
Please?

What shaft? Crankshaft, camshaft, advance rod? There is a locating woodruff key for the rotor on the crank and locating pins for the parts that fit onto the cam and advance rod.

On the advance rod
The pins were already in there.
The one on the aluminum hub lines up with the pin in the cam shaft, but I am questioning the pin on the rotor side

Common problems with your setup include:

1. Timing mark on PMA rotor is incorrect.
2. One of the three pins in the advance shaft or cam is missing.
3. PMA is producing a dirty or incorrect voltage.
4. Try connecting the PAMCO to a stand alone battery with the PMA disconnected.
5. Idle revs are too high and using some of the available advance.

Suggest that you temporarily reinstall the factory alternator rotor to verify timing. Doesn't matter if the alternator actually works. You just need the rotor for timing check.
Try another timing light without the fancy preset as they do not work properly on the XS650.

Pete, thanks for chiming in. After all it's your baby.
We actually had to grind off some of the plate to get the timing in spec. We did and we did
Now it's running right.
I did do a newbe error, however.
I did not carefully align the knotches on the advance knob and wasted an hour trying to start the engine
When we were exasperated, my nephew walked in and we said, "take it all out and reset at tdc
We did and found my error
Thankfully, I didn't destroy the billet
Anyway, timing was a piece of cake being able move the plate past the screws
Now she runs like the devil
Thanks guys
Read read read
Ride ride ride
Rob

Back