PAMCO timing jumping around

cbuckle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I just upgrade my Ignition from points to PAMCO Ultimate High output #14-0914 (thanks http://www.xs650direct.com/ ), using the stock advace. Ive grounded the PACMO to the old coil bracket on bare metal, disconnected the condensors(left them floating), connected the remaining orange wires together from the coil, and the brown wires together from the coil

I upgraded because of suspected weak coil when the bike was warm.

Before with points my timing was stable and inbetween the firing markers on both cylinders, now it appears to be very unstable (even with the advance weights tied closed).I also lubed the advance rod. I checked the cam chain early this spring

The bike runs great but I am concerned about my timing. Any advise? hope I did the tag correctly with PAMCOPETE ?
Also, these coilpack fires at top and bottom of one cylinder because there are no L and R markers? Could this be throwing my timing light off? Thanks

Wow that really is jumping around.
Have you tried moving your timing light pick up clamp from one spark plug wire to the other?
As I understand it, sometimes you get a more stable signal when you switch sides, although I forget why. Also you replaced your plug wires and spark plugs when you installed your ignition right? Just trying to eliminate obvious problems here.

You could try flipping the clamp over on the same wire. Sometimes the clamp is polarity sensitive.

Also, as has been mentioned above, one of the coil wires produces a negative voltage, the other produces a positive voltage. Most timing lights prefer the "conventional" negative voltage and will be erratic with the positive wire from the coil. Observe the arrow on the clamp when attaching the clamp to each wire and try both wires.

Failing the above, try a different timing light. The pulse to the spark plugs from the coil is very different from what comes from points, especially the rise time. Some timing lights will produce a flash from different parts of the pulse.

Eat your heart out Snap On timing light. Used a different timing light and she was more stable. Thanks for all your support.
For the record the picture attached is the timing light that gave me bad results

Attachments

• 20170720_093908.jpg
    20170720_093908.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 166
Wow! Who would've thought? I know I'm using an ancient timing, probably older than my bike. I really should upgrade, my timing bounces around too, though not as bad as yours was doing.
Well done!

Eat your heart out Snap On timing light. Used a different timing light and she was more stable. Thanks for all your support.
For the record the picture attached is the timing light that gave me bad results
Looking closely at your PIC I see that timing light is rated for 10 to 16 Volts. Is it possible that your source of power was less than 10 Volts? This can happen if you are running the engine at idle while timing because the alternator will not produce sufficient Voltage.

Back