Pamco Timing on 1980 with TCI

53xs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I ordered a pamco ignition to replace the TCI on my 1980, My question is timing marks. It looks like my bike only has a F mark Not a Range in that area. So I would assume timing should be right at the single F mark? The instructions say between two F marks? Thanks

On the points bikes they had a range for idle timing because they used two sets of points and it wasn't easy to get then both timed to one mark, thus a range. That way as long as you could get both sets of points within the range it ran ok. They do run better the closer you got them.
On the TCI bikes it only had one coil firing both cylinders so it only needed one mark.
Also the points bikes had a full advance mark so you could tell if the advancer was getting worn. As it wears the advance changes.
On the TCI the advance was controlled by the TCI not mechanically, so no wear.
Leo

I thought the TCI bikes did show a small range for idle timing on their plate? A small "U" mark? Maybe that was only some years .....

IdleTiming.jpg

You are going to want to check the full advance setting. You don't want to be running the timing too advanced. There was no full advance mark on the later bikes but you can use the left side of the drain notch on the bottom of the cover opening .....

Advance.jpg

The idle timing range on the points bikes was also there to compensate for wear in the advance unit. The unit advanced the timing a certain set amount, 25° I think. As the unit wore, that amount of advance could grow. You needed a way to retard the timing at full advance but still remain in some sort of spec at idle. Two fixed, exact timing marks wouldn't allow for this. You needed a "range", at least for one of the timing specs. Since timing was adjusted usually at idle, that's where they mapped out the range.

Both of the two 1980 motors I have only have the single F mark, maybe later ones had the U range? Even with the pamco I will still be using the mechanical advance, Thanks for the tip about the drain notch for full advance.

Back