Pampco Pete E-Ignition V1.1

firedog

FIREDOG
Reaction score
Just installed the E Ignition on my 75 xs650
All went well, started right up set the timing. Rode a mile and the bike died
Restarted and will run for a min and shuts off.
Running stock charging system with electronic regulator/rectifier.
New Battery.

Have 12V + on coil and Pampco
Have good ground, dito
Green wire has good conection to coil
Checking with the cam pin removed and a spark tester I have great spark for about 20 revolution.
After turning ignition off for 1 min I can repeat the cycle.
I'm not an electronic expert but it appears something has a bad connection weak solder joint perhaps
Pampco Pete help please!

It was rare to have a bad Pamco. I have a pretty good idea where the problem lies but this is
what you get when you guys badmouth the inventor and go for a copy. Problem lies in the knockoff
components.

And why is PAMCO ignition so important? I can see if you’re gonna build a bobber or chopper and you don’t want anything showing. I get that. But if it’s kinda stock. Why?

And why is PAMCO ignition so important? I can see if you’re gonna build a bobber or chopper and you don’t want anything showing. I get that. But if it’s kinda stock. Why?

A Pamco or other aftermarket ignition is not any less visible than the original ignitions. Points work well enough, but not as good.

Scott

Don't hold your breath for Pete's help. He's not into helping diagnose the cheap MikesXS knock-offs.

BOUGHT THIS IGNITION DIRECT FROM PAMCO WEBSITE INCLUDING TH E COIL ABOUT A YEAR AGO
IT WAS JUST INSTALLED BECAUSE THE RESTO TOOK ME LONGER THAN I EXPECTED.
FOLLOWED THE DIAGNOSTICS.
NOT LOOSING POSITIVE +
GOOD GROUND
SPINNING THE ROTOR BY HAND I HAVE GREAT SPARK FOR ABOUT 60 SECONDS AND THAN NOTHING
TURNING IGNITION OFF AND ON AGAIN AFTER 10 SEC OR SO I CAN REPEAT THAT BUT I WILL ONLY HAVE SPARK FOR LESS THAN 60 SEC. AND AGAIN LESS THERE AFTER.
THINKING SOMETHING IS WARMING UP AND LOOSES FUNKTION
I'M NOT AN ELECTRONIC EXPERT BY NO MEANS.

You said it sounds like something is getting hot and shutting down (or words to that affect). Only two things in the system to overheat... the Pamco card itself or the coil. Try starting the bike and blowing shop air over the card while it's running. That will keep the card cool. If it keeps running, there's your problem. If it still dies in about the same amount of time... suspect the coil.

You said it sounds like something is getting hot and shutting down (or words to that affect). Only two things in the system to overheat... the Pamco card itself or the coil. Try starting the bike and blowing shop air over the card while it's running. That will keep the card cool. If it keeps running, there's your problem. If it still dies in about the same amount of time... suspect the coil.
AT THIS POINT I WILL TRY ANYTHING

I would think anything that would be hot enough to affect the operation would burn your finger. So to check for that just feel all the components on the board.

P.S. Go through the link 6FittySkull put up to diagnose this. Nobody can say the problem is this so just do this, as much as we'd like to. When you go through some of those tests, in an orderly fashion, comment back on here where it balked.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-and-pamco-ignition.46859/

Last edited:
Hi Guys, thanks for the input.
Did some more checking
Coil Test primary 2.3 Ohms
secondary 15200 Ohms ,
everything else open

Redid all the connections.
Checked, ground, ground and ground!

Redid the static test spinning the magnet wheel by hand

Tried B+ directly to coil and pampco
Tried cooling circuit board with compressed air. As it was suggested.
Coil feels warm, but not hot.

Have a good hot battery
Running original charging system with electronic rectifier regulator.

To no avail after about a minute or so motor shuts off like hitting the kill switch. No spark
Turn power off and on spark returns but drops off after a short time.
The same with the static test.
I used a timing light or a spark tester to see if I have spark.

Well while running, during the minute or so, everything is working well.
Engine reves up, timing advances to full advance mark.

Just sixty seconds or so of joy, that's it.

Fire Dog - Reach out to MikesXS customer service and they will be more than pleased to assist. It may be a bad IGBT module which would cause that particular symptom. Just send a quick few lines about the issue.

Back