Post-Pandemic Cuisine

Paul, no A&W in the U.K?? :sick:
GB, Had to have something for lunch! My belly button was kissing my back bone! ( It will be whiskey time soon. Ole lady is off so it's another rib night, whoooooeeeee)[/QUOTE
Maybe I'm jealous the way you can eat. You must have a strong stomach.

Well this is about all I have to add to the list today, molasses cooookies!:
cooookies.png

I think the recipe was supposed to make 24 but only managed 21 and yes if you are counting there were only 16 left when the picture was taken!

A & W is available in the UK, but I prefered the Mug - Although this may just be a case of old memories and higher sugar contents.

kshansen, I think someone may have eaten those missing 3 cookies just as they came out of the oven...:rolleyes: I see you mentioned molasses. On UTube somewhere there is a recipe for cleaning the rust out of fuel tanks using molasses. Anyone tried it?? Maybe just stick to cookies.

kshansen, I think someone may have eaten those missing 3 cookies just as they came out of the oven...:rolleyes: I see you mentioned molasses. On UTube somewhere there is a recipe for cleaning the rust out of fuel tanks using molasses. Anyone tried it?? Maybe just stick to cookies.
I think the shrinkage in the output was due to a slightly oversized cookie in the assembly department.

As for the cleaning effect of the molasses:

Maybe if I eat enough cookies I can cut back on my cholesterol meds?

Today's effort, a simple and very plain little deep pan pizza:

Dough, Cheese, Salami, Tomato Sauce(my prefered sauce for pizza):
PZ1.JPG
Place Dough in frying pan:
PZ2.JPG
Add a Spiral of Tomato Sauce:
PZ3.JPG
Add Salamai:
PZ4.JPG
Add Cheese:
PZ5.JPG
Start heating the frying pan on the stove top to get the dough cooking underneath. This helps the Pizza to cook evenly underneath without leaving a damp center area. Then place in a hot oven for 10 - 15 minutes until ready:
PZ6.JPG
I add the tomato sauce in a spiral and never spread it out. I find spreading it homogenizes the flavors so not as interesting to eat.

Today's effort, a simple and very plain little deep pan pizza:

Dough, Cheese, Salami, Tomato Sauce(my prefered sauce for pizza):
View attachment 165456
Place Dough in frying pan:
View attachment 165457
Add a Spiral of Tomato Sauce:
View attachment 165458
Add Salamai:
View attachment 165459
Add Cheese:
View attachment 165460
Start heating the frying pan on the stove top to get the dough cooking underneath. This helps the Pizza to cook evenly underneath without leaving a damp center area. Then place in a hot oven for 10 - 15 minutes until ready:
View attachment 165455
I add the tomato sauce in a spiral and never spread it out. I find spreading it homogenizes the flavors so not as interesting to eat.
Good Idea, Paul about the frying pan. We have one of those Red Copper Pans you see on TV, where they drive a jeep over it and hit it with a torch to demonstrate it can handle 500 degrees f. So you can cook in the oven with it and fry, too. My wife would cringe at the Heinz ketchup, though. Her dad would put it on everything. They do sell Pizza sauce in cans. She likes fire roasted tomatoes. She's Slovak, and I think her and her sister are more Italian than Italian chicks! I'm not so picky. But, I do use a teaspoon of Heinz ketchup and a quarter spoon of Gouldens mustard when I make lima bean soup. It's something I learned from Grandma. It gives it a rich taste. One time, I was fishing with my friend on a legendary trout stream where fly tying legends started their craft on tributaries of the mighty Delaware River, the Beaverkill and Willow Wemock. It just rained like hell for three days. We kept trying different spots to fish, but it was a complete wash out. We were deep in the woods upstate New York and sleeping in my friends old Econoline van for days, running out of cash and food we brought. It was getting dark. We were damp and cold. I had a can of corn, a can of peas an onion and some butter and dried oregano left. We started the Coleman stove inside the van with the door open and threw it all together. It was warm, tasty and nourishing, and was a meal I won't forget.

Attachments

• ..jpg
    ..jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 157
Interesting the different views on Heinz Ketchup. I once held a negative view and that was having not even eaten it. The ingredients list is:
Tomatoes(148g Tomato per 100 of Tomato Ketchup)
Spirit Vinegar
Sugar
Salt
Spice and Herb Extract(Contains Celery)
Spice

Seems pretty good to me!

Strange how Celery has been singled out. If a product contains added nitrites it would have to be labelled and many would not buy the product due to scare stories in the past. Celery naturally contains nitrites so its use allows the manufacturer to avoid labeling for nitrites. There are several products out there with Celery juice mentioned as an ingredient.

My favorite pizza combination is pepperoni, mushrooms, corn, pineapple, cheese and of course the old ketchup sauce.

My ex-wife used to call Heinz (or indeed any) ketchup Tomato Jam.

Today's bake was oat bread. Here it straight from the oven and then on the cooling rack:
20200429_153335.jpg

20200429_153937.jpg

400g stoneground wholemeal
600g unbleached white
250g rolled oats
20g sea salt
1 tsp honey

And yeast and water, of course! I use a slow process starting with a poolish prepared the day before. I'm in no hurry :eek:)

Nighthog, very nice looking bread! Do you have a good idea of how much water was added then I could try a similar hydration ratio for home-ground wheat. I am due to grind some more Spelt wheat soon but have been having some trouble. It rises nicely in the oven but gives a dry crumbly bread. I might make a very wet mix tomorrow and leave it overnight and then cook - should give more time for the flour to hydrate. Any suggestions?

I used to buy a Strong White flour called Carr's. I cannot get it anymore. It made fantastic pizza bases.

Paul, I'll PM you tomorrow with more details. Also I found spelt benefited from the slow ferment with a poolish - I'll dig out my notes.

And I learned a lot in a day's baking course with Geraint in Dinas Powys. Put me on the right track :eek:) Long-winded notes to follow!

Just as there are maintenance manuals for those who have tools.

This is a lie! My old lady can read, I know she can! But she can't cook! She's been poisoning me for years! Chicken and fish are healthy! :bs:
I've had chicken every way you can have it except on the roost! I'm a STEAK and TATER man! If it's swimming or scratching, it don't take much for me! I want something that roots and grazes! :thumbsup:

This is a lie! My old lady can read, I know she can! But she can't cook! She's been poisoning me for years! Chicken and fish are healthy! :bs:
I've had chicken every way you can have it except on the roost! I'm a STEAK and TATER man! If it's swimming or scratching, it don't take much for me! I want something that roots and grazes! :thumbsup:

Hi thuban,
could be worse, your wife could be a vegetarian.
Like my sister.
Bro-in-law sez it ain't that she won't cook meat for him, it's the sorrowful look she has as it cooks.

Back