Post-Pandemic Cuisine

Hi Fred!
Hope your doing well! Yep, that would be terrible. Ole lady does not cook steak! Tired of hearing me fuss. What she does to a steak! I've seen some hurt worse than that and live!
We need a weather report from up there! It's getting hot down here.

Hi Fred!
Hope your doing well! Yep, that would be terrible. Ole lady does not cook steak! Tired of hearing me fuss. What she does to a steak! I've seen some hurt worse than that and live!
We need a weather report from up there! It's getting hot down here.

Hi thuban,
those who complain about how a job is done get to do it themselves.
Weather in Saskatoon has been perfect for riding (low 60ºsF & sunny) this past week but forecasted for ~40ºF with rain just for Mother's Day.

Hi thuban,
could be worse, your wife could be a vegetarian.
Like my sister.
Bro-in-law sez it ain't that she won't cook meat for him, it's the sorrowful look she has as it cooks.

what’s wrong with being vegetarian? i’ve been one my whole life with no ill effects. people do all sortsa stuff diet-wise, doesn’t affect me one bit.

buzzword, Yep you got something there. One only has 4 canine teeth. The rest are for biting and grinding, grindings! Seems like if people were supposed to be meat eaters, they would have more canine teeth and less molars. But I do like my vegies! My garden is a growing! Mean time, being the omnivore that I am, just a little salad swimming in ranch dressing, croutons, a glass of sweet red wine, Taters, baked with a bay leaf for flavor, drizzled with butter and plastered with sour cream and these baby's right here... ( slap my Mama) and a double shot of Evan Williams, 1783 and coke on ice. Best whiskey on the planet with coke when your BBQing.

ribs.jpg
Can you smell this?

only if they planned to pounce and kill it with a bite to the neck :)
Hummmm. Never thought about it that way. :umm: Nah... China invented gun powder, Indians invented corn and now we "Bait and Shoot!" I call it BS season!
I'm just kidding. I don't hunt Bamby. I got my eye on a pig and steer named "Pork Chop" and "T-Bone". :)

What can I put on the grill? Cannot pounce and kill with a bite to the neck.... I could do with some Dark Age French inspiration:

Here is my version after several weeks of boredom made from scraps of oak and pine:
Bow.jpg
So what can I forage for? Skulls Taipan or the neighbors cat?? Think I'll just hang it on the garage wall.....

Time for another pizza!

what’s wrong with being vegetarian? i’ve been one my whole life with no ill effects. people do all sortsa stuff diet-wise, doesn’t affect me one bit.

Hi buzzword,
nothing wrong with being vegetarian so long as you eat the right mix of vegetables.
I've heard that extreme vegans can have problems.
Accommodations must be made when one marriage partner is vegetarian and the other ain't, is all.

What can I put on the grill? Cannot pounce and kill with a bite to the neck.... I could do with some Dark Age French inspiration:
Here is my version after several weeks of boredom made from scraps of oak and pine:
View attachment 166553 So what can I forage for? Skulls Taipan or the neighbors cat?? Think I'll just hang it on the garage wall.....
Time for another pizza!

Dammit Paul,
that video sidetracked me into several hours of medieval warfare discussions and the armor-piercing abilities of longbow arrows.
Thanks.

View attachment 166553 So what can I forage for? Skulls Taipan or the neighbors cat?? Think I'll just hang it on the garage wall.....

Time for another pizza!

If it was choice.........I vote the Cat............

Aluminium/Aluminum is going to be a difficult one as the spelling and pronunciation both differ, unlike the "ou" words and the s/z variants. Alumium was the original spelling from Humphrey Davy when he discovered it could be produced by electrolysis. Then changes took place to give the current spellings. See the full history of the name and as to why spellings differ:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm
Interesting that IUPAC has accepted Aluminium as the preferred spelling. Is this now being taught in US schools? British schools are now taught to use the spelling "Sulfur" instead of "Sulphur". I always thought that Sulfur was best.

Last edited:
Aluminium/Aluminum is going to be a difficult one as the spelling and pronunciation both differ, unlike the "ou" words and the s/z variants. Alumium was the original spelling from Humphrey Davy when he discovered it could be produced by electrolysis. Then changes took place to give the current spellings. See the full history of the name and as to why spellings differ:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm
Interesting that IUPAC has accepted Aluminium as the preferred spelling. Is this now being taught in US schools? British schools are now taught to use the spelling "Sulfur" instead of "Sulphur". I always thought that Sulfur was best.

Hi Paul,
there's the syllable emphasis change, too; aLUminum vs aluMINium.
And the ph vs f thing, they sound the same but is ph an upper class way to use f?
Would I get more respect if I called myself Phred?

Fred, I am not sure about the class rating of "ph" versus "f". But whenever I see the name Phuket in Thailand I grin politely.

I guess since May of 2020 people been starving to death! ;) I'm gona fix that!

Pickled Eggs:
P eggs.jpg

Mustard Eggs:

All recepies are for 1 quart of eggs. ( 1 dozen grade A large eggs)
I use 1 quart Kilner jars. Each square Kilner jar will hold 12 grade A large eggs. But use any jar with a lid on it, preferably rubber or plastic.
Warning. Habit forming! And don't stick your finger in the brine to taste it! You'll eat the end of your finger off!

Steaming
the Eggs: Trust me!
Put water in the steamer up to the bottom of the basket. Put in eggs. Straight from the fridge is fine. (If there is a crack in a shell, the egg won't go far since it's not in water. Eat that volunteer right away. ( Spit that out! Don't eat the shell! Who you think you are Bear Grills?)

Cover and bring the water to a rolling boil for 15 minutes. Take off the heat. Let sit at least 6 minutes.

BUT while the eggs are boiling:
Get a covered plastic bowl or tray and half fill with ice. ( 1 tray of ice will do it) Add water to float the ice. Add the Steamed Eggs. Let sit about 5 minutes to cool. Shake the hell out of the container of ice water and eggs. Open and peel eggs. I tap them all round on the sink. Pinch the big end and peel from there. ( I peel under a trickle of running water and you'll find as your peeling the colder eggs peel faster. Rinse eggs and put in a bowl.

Once the eggs are peeled and ready:
1/2 onion, sliced in half moons. White onions best. Set to one side.

Mustard Eggs: Delicious! Try these first!
In a pot combine:
1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar - apple cider vinegar works too.
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbls salt ( table salt has iodine but will work fine)
Stirring, bring to a boil .
Add to pot:
1 Tbls Mustard Seed
3 Tbls Yellow ( Hot dog) Mustard from the fridge.
1 tsp Turmic
I also put 1/2 tsp celery seed and 1/2 tsp dill weed. Use it if you got it.
Stirring, bring back to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
Let brine cool.
Add 1/2 of your sliced onion to bottom of jar. Give each egg a final rinse and fill the jar. Cover eggs with the rest of your sliced onions to hold the eggs down. Pour over with the cooled brine. Put in fridge for a week.
( I'm hitting mine the next day at lunch!)

Cajun Pickled Eggs w/ Crystal Hot Sauce: (These will float your "Pirogue"! (Pee-row)) A boat - canoe type of watercraft, 14 to 16 foot long powered by a 200 horse engine, usually filled with 2 inches mud, 6 inches water, 4 inches snakes and one Coon-Ass. ( I'm gona told you, these are good!)

12 eggs to fill jar, prepared as above:
1/2 red onion - cut as above. Half in jar now and the rest to hold eggs down when brine is poured in.

Put all below in a pot. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool .
1 1/2 Cups White Vinegar
1/2 cup water
8 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
3 fresh Jalapenos chopped 1/4 inch size ( "tamed" Jalapenos, to make 3 fresh ones are excellent. )
2 Tbls salt
2 tsp black pepper
12 dashes of Crystal brand hot sauce ( Yeah, use your favorite hot sauce, but Crystal is the bees knees!)
1 tsp dill seed
1 tsp yellow ground Mustard
When cool, (warm) Spoon some of the spices in the jar. Fill with eggs, cover with last of the onions and add the rest of the spices and brine.
Put in fridge for 7 days.
Note: There will always be some brine left over. I put some more onion slices in a glass, cover with the rest of the brine and place in the fridge. Yummy!
Thu

2E9EA0F6-5EB1-484F-940F-03B5FFD2D09A.jpeg

Meatza. Like pizza, but no bread. I line the bottom of the pan with 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage, bake it at 400 until done. I top it with my favorites, marinara sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, provolone, etc. Back in the oven until the cheese melts.

Hot dang, JMM! Man after my own heart! I only have a few questions! #1, Are the brussels fresh or frozen? #2, A little bit of what kind of oil in the brussels and bacon? And all in cast iron! Somebody stop this guy! #3, Where's the garlic bread and wine?
I'm up dating my groceries list! :cheers:

Back